We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Defintion of Masochism? = Return to San Lucas

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
McKinney, Texas
Level Contributor
102 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Defintion of Masochism? = Return to San Lucas

My wife and I thought we'd give the place one more chance (and report back favorably) since we had a free place (playa grande) and wanted to fish in season...we'd been there in 1990 & 1995

Sorry, Sportsfans! - I can't blame the merchants who let me walk away from their $35 US counter-counter offer on a pair of shorts so poorly made that Family Dollar would refruse to carry them,

Nor the (even highly regarded) restaraunteurs that serve me obviously spoiled shimp masked in pepper, sell me $0.11 worth of beverage ingrdients for $8,

Nor the taxi monopoly at the airport...

Nor civil engineers that still haven't developed a water system that allows me to flush toilet paper in public places rather; smell a wastebasket full of other diners' in between courses.

No, No...Like the parents of a dead crack addict we have to blame ourselves for ingnoring the problem before it became too late.

After this, third vacation spent in San Lucas (total 11 in Mexico), I will attest this is the last...

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
675 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Defintion of Masochism? = Return to San Lucas

In Wine Is Truth - funny...we have a plaque in our kitchen with that saying on it. So true...!

I do hope you judge your destinations by more than just cheezy clothing, overpriced drinks, expensive taxis and plumbing! You wouldn't have many places in this world to enjoy!

If you're looking for high-class shopping and world-class dining, then I will agree with you - Cabo is not the place for you. I'd stick to New York City, Paris, and Las Vegas instead for sure. If this is what is most important to you, I can't believe you've been to Mexico 11 times!

Mexico is an amazing and wonderful place, and some places (like Puerto Vallarta for example) do have great food (many others do not), but high-styling shopping and great deals are something you're unlikely to find in modern Mexican ports - this can be had in great cities like Guadalajara, but not in a cruise port like Cabo, I'm afraid.

I think most people come to Cabo for year-round sunshine, great beaches, snorkeling, nightlife, fishing, and just an old-fashioned good time. In that light - it is a great place. If you're looking for something higher class and extensively developed, then the Baja is not a place for you. Italy, Greece or Rio de Janeiro might be better options. Great fishing in Panama or Costa Rica too - beautiful places.

Bummer you didn't have a good vacation in Cabo - I hope your next one will be much more rewarding for you, no matter where your travels take you.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,335 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Defintion of Masochism? = Return to San Lucas

J & S said a mouthfull :-) Cabo is not the place for everyone, though I personally have not ever been served spoiled food, used a taxi or purchased anything that wasn't worth what I paid for it, nor run into the restroom problems that "in wine" did. I am sorry they didn't enjoy their third vacation there, but like everything else, it's not one size fits all.....life would be quite horrible if it were. There are some incredible places to vacation on this planet! I like Cabo because of where we stay, the people we have come to know, the fact that I can eat some great meals without cooking them, and I can relax by the pool with a good book, and on the Dec. trip I can whale watch, among other things. I do hope your next holiday is perfect though.

3. Re: Defintion of Masochism? = Return to San Lucas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2006, 00:15
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
675 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Defintion of Masochism? = Return to San Lucas

Now now - play nice. Just because someone's idea of an ideal vacation spot differs from the rest of ours doesn't mean they aren't entitled to their opinion - if they didn't have a good time, they should be allowed to say so.

Without differing viewpoints like this, TripAdvisor would only be a propaganda tool instead of an open and useful forum.

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Defintion of Masochism? = Return to San Lucas

It is somewhat disturbing to see a consistent pattern on this forum of berating those who have a 'less than perfect' trip to Los Cabos.

I tend to read the travel reviews more frequently than the forums for less skewed opinions of a destination. While comments such as "inwines" are rarely highlighted on this forum, they are definitely reflected in the reviews. Inflated prices, inferior service, substandard infrastructure and predatory timeshare salespersons have become a common thread.

Personally, I enjoy Cabo but am fortunate enough to be able to stay for free, dine affordably and have access to a car. If I were paying exorbitantly high airfares, dining out every night and paying $10 for a margarita on top of accommodations, I would doubtless demand considerably higher service levels.

This is simply a discussion forum and should be viewed as such. Discussions on any topic should be objective. Both positive and negative experiences need to be taken into consideration before spending valuable time and money to travel to a destination.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
675 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Defintion of Masochism? = Return to San Lucas

Well said, Bajatraveler - solid advice.

Seems TripAdvisor agrees with you too! :-)

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,335 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Defintion of Masochism? = Return to San Lucas

I think I am probably glad I missed what was deleted. Personally, I would like to read a review of places "inwine" likes to visit just to get the feel for what their likes are. With 11 trips to Mexico, there must be some places they have enjoyed-Cabo just isn't one of them. I find it interesting, in the business I am in, to find out what people do look for in holidays.

California
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Defintion of Masochism? = Return to San Lucas

Here-Here! for different opinions! Yes.

I would agree with inwine and yet I"m a lover of Cabo. The dining has never impressed me and is overpriced. Plumbing is not good .

Taxi's have monopoly. Drinks are overpriced. This is a poor area in the world with little infrastructure and what infrastructure is there is very, very recent.

IT is a boomtown with all the problems boomtowns have.

It doesn't even have a great swimmable beach! Medano is swimmable , but I don't think it is gorgeous. There are some gorgeous beaches (like the one at Sunset Beach resort) that are not swimmable. Divorce beach is another gorgeous beach...but not very swimmable.

But here is what I love:

Close to California and less expensive airfare than many places.

Fabulous year round weather w/o oppressive humidity except for about 2 months of the year.

Gorgeous landscape as desert meets ocean.

Fun nightlife.

A sense of adventure, ends of the earth.

And something that is intangible...can't name it...but know it is born of an unusual and isolated history/geography since it is "almost an island."

"almost an island" is a key way to view Cabo...explains some of the expense.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,335 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Defintion of Masochism? = Return to San Lucas

Very well said, Baja! excellent "thumb nail" sketch.......

California
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Defintion of Masochism? = Return to San Lucas

Here is something else that Cabo has over many popular Mexican resorts: brand new, modern resorts.

New resorts like Sunset Beach, Pacifica, Westin Regina take advantage of modern technology, design, function...be it kitchen, air conditioning, lighting, master bathroom spaciousness, electricity, pool design and filtration, sewer, irrigation......