We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving To Cabo San Lucas from Ukiah, Ca.

Florida
Level Contributor
211 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Driving To Cabo San Lucas from Ukiah, Ca.

We plan on driving down to Cabo. Anyone out there have any feedback on driving down? The time frame will be Mar 07. So we have plenty of time to plan this. Any help appreciated.

Gas availability-price, police hassles, pay-offs, road banditos, etc.

Southern California
Level Contributor
434 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving To Cabo San Lucas from Ukiah, Ca.

Get a Baja California road map from the Auto Club (AAA) and their Baja California book. Their map shows where the gas stations are located, and stop and keep your tank topped off. Pay in pesos, make sure they turn the pump to zero before they pump your gas. Common for gas stations to short change you. Also pumps do not seem accurate as to number of gallons pumped.

No problems with police.

No pay offs.

Banditos - see bajanomad.com for reports of recent problems.

It is a fantastic drive. Very slow driving due to mountain roads, numerous towns and narrow roads. Border to Cabo is around 1000 miles, but I travel about 2000 miles each way checking out the side roads as I go. March will be a great month for weather.

Make sure your vehicle is in good repair. Carry plenty of drinking water.

Places I have stayed you may want to consider are:

melingguestranch.com - allow minimum of 2 nights and go up to the national park with a mountain peak of 10,000 feet.

ignaciosprings.com

rancholeonero.com

Hotel Oasis in Loreto

California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving To Cabo San Lucas from Ukiah, Ca.

offroad,

We plan to drive down someday when we can be in Cabo for more then 3 weeks at a time and I am so glad you are on this forum and can give us tips on how to do it right! You, and others who have made the trip, make me feel much better about the adventure!

Thanks.

roadtoad,

Make sure to ck. back here when you return and tell us how it went.

Southern California
Level Contributor
434 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving To Cabo San Lucas from Ukiah, Ca.

tooley -

3 weeks would be so great. I did 10 days on the road in January then flew home, so much fun!

I think a 3-4 month road trip would be perfect. Someday I will do it.

California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving To Cabo San Lucas from Ukiah, Ca.

Thats our plan..2-3 months at a time. Nice to have your own car there and not have to rent for that long of a time...someday! :-)

California
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving To Cabo San Lucas from Ukiah, Ca.

I've done it the past two years which was 1700 miles each way....Ukiah starting point would be similar to mine.

We did have a problem with policeman in Santa Rosalia who tried to shake us down for fabricated parking ticket. I remained polite and told him we should go to the police station to bridge our language barriers. Of course, he did not want to go to the station, so after 30 minutes he gave me back my license. I felt certain it was a set-up.

My understanding is that crime is not a problem except between border and Ensenada..once past Ensenada, you are fine.

Plenty of gas, except in Catavina, but even then, it was a man selling from funky 5 gallon containers.

A simple way for a first timer is to go to www.lapinta.com and check out their Baja travel pass. We did this the first year, but not the second. IT was better to go with La Pinta as eating in all of Baja was expensive and the La Pinta food coupons and free American breakfasts really helped.

Some La Pintas are great, others are not. We did research for our trip this year for good places to stay, using Trip advisor and a Baja travel card discount. It was disappointing...more expensive and one or two surprising motels that did not sound at all like the reviews. Example:

Melarimo restaurant and motel in Guerro Negro....motel could not have been worse than La Pinta in Guerro Negro and Malarimo's food was ridiculously expensive and mediocre to awful.

Las Casitas in Mulege....same as above with regard to restaurant and motel.

Hotel Garenias in La Paz was a fun stop, good price, walk to town.

Catavina La Pinta is wonderful...love Catavina...must take walk in late afternoon and at Sunset and early morning...surreal.

Bahia Concepcion is amazing.

Stayed at the only motel on that bay, Hotel San Buenaventura. Free use of the sea kayaks. Fun. Surreal to the max. Very hot and humid along this area of Sea of Cortez. Electricity is generators which shut off in middle of night and so everyone in hotel woke up at something like 3am gasping to open windows. Funny.

La Pinta in Ensenda is fine.

Everyone says Ignacio Springs bed and breakfast is cool, in San Ignacio.

The surprising thing is how expensive the travel through Baja was, especially food. I was not comfortable eating at less formal taco stands in towns, thinking the water/sanitation would not be safe.

In downtown San Ignacio I wanted to use bathroom. Someone told me to follow an old woman who was sick, sitting on bench. I followed her through shanty house to back yard. She opened outhouse, no toilet seat, no paper and she apologized for having no water in the rusty flush bucket. I thanked her. She then said it would cost ten pesos and I paid her.

The drive is an adventure and there are many ways to do it. I recommend it to everyone, at least once.

It is a once in a lifetime experience in that it will add to your life= expansive, in the same way driving across America is.

Some of the drive is astonishingly beautiful and some is incredibly boring.

Take extra water to share for those along the way who do not have water (like the policeman at an accident scene and the workers on a desolate road crew who put up blockade for water shortage.).

You must pass through about 8 Federales check points and those are interesting.

Aliso Viejo...
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving To Cabo San Lucas from Ukiah, Ca.

Link in the previous post should be http://www.lapintahotels.com/, not www.lapinta.com, that's a RE agent in Hawaii's website.

California
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving To Cabo San Lucas from Ukiah, Ca.

eppis...thanks!! And sorry.

8. Re: Driving To Cabo San Lucas from Ukiah, Ca.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2006, 16:22
Vancouver
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving To Cabo San Lucas from Ukiah, Ca.

Picked this thread up researching the drive down to Cabo.. Planning this trip for the month of Feb 2008.. Sounds like a great trip worth driving.. I'll be driving in a new Jeep Rubicon, wondering what precautions I need to take for overnight parking and theft security.. How much do I need to be concerned ever.. I have no idea. Overall it seems like a great trip with usual common sense but I don't want to overlook or be naive.

Also insurance, which Mexican Insurance company would most recommend for price and quality coverage. I figured to get the full coverage.... Any thoughts and or further recommendations about the drive.. Both scenic and safety...

Much thanks from Canada..

California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving To Cabo San Lucas from Ukiah, Ca.

You might want to look at the bajanomad.com site for some info. too. We have never driven there. Hope to some day. I am sure you can get some advice here but the baja site might help also.

Have a great trip!