We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get the most out of them at the timeshare pres ?

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
409 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
How to get the most out of them at the timeshare pres ?

I have read on here some amazing things that were received from subjecting themselves to a timeshare presentation. We have gone through many over the years and what we received was really nothing to write home about or worth my time. So my question is how do you get the most out of them. My sun/fun time is worth more than a bottle of tequilla and a mexican blanket that I then have to try to figure out how to get back in my already too heavy suitcase. So how do you work it?? We will be leaving in less than a week. We will be staying at PB-Rose and one wk at Playa Grande. Is it better to sign up at the airport for the time share pres. or on the street or at the resort? I know some of you maybe asking why even sign up. My mother loves to go and see the new resorts so we end up doing one presentation per trip.

Thanks, Charlene

Chicago
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get the most out of them at the timeshare pres ?

Good luck. To me a vacation is just that, a vacation. If I want to sit at a presentation I can pay for one here in Chicago and subject myself to that. To me if you go on vacation and need to sit in a timeshare presentation to afford something then maybe you need to tone it down a little on the amount you are spending for your vacation. If you can't afford it then don;t go. While I understand they give free 1/2 hour on waverunners, free dinners,... If you take into account what these "freebies" are worth my time on vacation is certainly worth more than subjecting myself to a high pressure timeshare presentation.

Of course if your actually looking into a timeshare then again...... good luck.

Just a word of caution run don't walk past the timeshare people at the airport. They are vultures. Don't even look at them. Keep walking and get outside to your transfer.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,576 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get the most out of them at the timeshare pres ?

I think many people enjoy seeing the new resorts, and if they recieve some really good perks, then go for it! I wouldn't sign up at the airport though. I would ask about the resort I wanted to see by contacting someone from that resort I think. I have only done the "tour" at Solmar and Playa Grande, both of which I was interested in. I didn't feel my time was ill spent-it's only a couple of hours, and the perks turned out to be just fine. There are those here that are pretty "expert" in doing the tours, so you should recieve some helpful answers. Go, enjoy and let us know about your trip when you return :-)

PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,837 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get the most out of them at the timeshare pres ?

I can understand going to the presentations so you can see other resorts....and that the only reason I would go. Not because Im looking into buying or wanting freebies. I do enjoy relaxing on my vacation and not being hounded. However, you will be hounded starting at the airport, walking down the street and in the lobby of your resort. So I would definitely skip the airport sharks and just pick and choose which "vendor" along the street you want to sign up with.

Chicago
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get the most out of them at the timeshare pres ?

atila -----I agree with you 100%. However (and I have done this myself in the past with my father) if you really want to see another resort without the timeshare guy breathing down your back you can give (and I am not saying it will always work but $$ talks) give the gate guy $10.00 and he will let you through. I would much rather that and be able to look myself than to sign up for something, be stuck there for 3 hours (we were told the 1 time we ever did a presentation it woulf only be 1 hour and ended up being 3) and having a vulture asking you to sign on the dotted line.

Give the gate guy $10.00 and keep your fingers crossed that he lets you in. Much more relaxing to see a resort that way.

Another way is to walk into the resort from the beach side. You will never be confronter and have access to the entire resort. If the resort is walkable from the one you are staying at.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
3,309 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get the most out of them at the timeshare pres ?

When your appraoched about a presentation be blunt and unwaivering. I want cash. They have a budget so push the limit. Take no less than $275 and push for $300 and still demand your 2 bottles of tequilla. Forget the blankets you can get them for a few bucks in town. Don't take the Mayan tour. Don't engage in conversation with the sales reps. just keep to the presentation and don't say much and have solid reasons you don't like the resort and area. Tell them you don't like Cabo or Mexico and don't care to vacation here again. No one said you had to tell them the truth.

Glendale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get the most out of them at the timeshare pres ?

kenrabs has all very good suggestions.

As with everything in Mexico, if buying never pay the first price they quote, and if doing a timeshare presentation, never accept their first offer. They will negotiate what they can give you. Push for the most and walk away if it's not enough to make you feel like it was worth your time. If you get enough to make YOU feel like it was worth your time then you negotiated well.

Oh, and take the blankets too! The beach vendor was selling them for much more than we thought they would be :)

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get the most out of them at the timeshare pres ?

We did several tours for $200.00 cash for each tour--one was $300.00. We told the street rep. that we'd do any he wanted to line up, but we wouldn't consider less than $200.00 cash. We scheduled for breakfast meetings and made it clear that we were not buying--wasn't bad.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get the most out of them at the timeshare pres ?

And I definitely agree with the poster above who said don't do the Mayan tour. It was brutal. I saw one woman in tears trying to give back her "gifts" just to get a cab ride back to town. They are truly horrible. If you do that one, you'll earn your money, and $200.00 isn't enough to do it for.

California
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get the most out of them at the timeshare pres ?

CAbolover...you suggest that if one needs to go on timeshares to afford things on vacation....then don't go on vacation if you can't afford it. Hey, that ain't my philosophy...if it were, I'd never GO on vacation...except some local camping. I go even though I can't afford it....I go cheap on things like eating out (rarely do) and expensive in other areas (such as length of vacation.)

So, to each his own. First class or Budget. LOL.

Rutabaga? The most important thing to remember when doing timeshare is never, ever buy at presentation....and some of these salesmen are the best in the world...don't think you are safe because you haven't bought before....I could have said the same thing about the few timeshares I attended stateside.

Just remember that you can buy resale on the internet....and don't believe them if they tell you it is not as good. Baloney.

Why did I buy? Could it have been the complimentary Margarita (which you can't do stateside at sales.)...Was it the spirit of being in a foreign land and a foreign frame of mind? Was it the breathtaking view as I first saw the ocean going over the "mountain" down to Sunset Beach and thinking, "I want to know I can come to this paradise every year."?

Seattle
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get the most out of them at the timeshare pres ?

You already blew it. You could have stayed at the Pueblo Bonito Pacifica for as little as 299 dollars flat with no taxes for 1 week just for prebooking (and taking) a tour of the Sunset and MonteCristo timeshare at time of your Pacifica reservations..Internet special. Tour was close to 3 hours, but we always ask questions about what to do in new town (to us) and the tour itself of the Pueblo Bonito Sunset and Monte Cristo was very interesting. Pretty low pressure, had a drink and a so so lunch.

You are paying....probably well over 1,500 for the Rose for the week Heck your taxes are going to be over $299 just on the 1 week $1,500 cost of the rental.

Pueblo Bonito Pacifica was unbelievable....and the 1,500 dollars saved pretty much covered my wife and my airfares and car rental with 500 to spend in Cabo.

If you take a tour of the Sunset after you get there the most you will get is 300 dollars....some people settle on less than 100 dollars.

Mayan tour...I booked and didnt go....we heard horror stories. They purposely try to keep you soo long you would rather give up the money and leave than subject yourself to furthur high pressure torture.

Just choose wisely