We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to handle timeshare sellers?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
60 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
best way to handle timeshare sellers?

My wife and I will be vacationing in Cabo in January. We've heard the stories of the bothersome time-share people. We are staying at the Playa Grande (in a time share). Is there a suggested way to handle these people? Can you just say that you already own one? Tell them we're boke(!).

Thanks for any advice!

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: best way to handle timeshare sellers?

power,

sounds silly but just smile and say ,no thank you, and walk on, or simply ignore them. Buena Suerte........ jim

st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: best way to handle timeshare sellers?

What yacht didn't tell you is his wife looks at them and speaks a different language setting them back. Ive used that, I ve kidded with them saying manyanna (bad spelling), no comprenda, or when they first head towards you start asking them if they would like to buy a time share. Sometimes they may get mad as they still take their jobs seriously. As most people the best is how yacht said and be gracious. Worst area is coming out of terminal after stop light for baggage search-stay together get in middle of room putting others closer to their reach walk quickly and don't stop to ask anything just make bee line for door with determined look on face. It is inevitable you will be approached by someone but still is not as bad here as other areas and no gracious is best.

PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,815 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way to handle timeshare sellers?

When you are leaving the airport and hit the timeshare shark tank, just know if you are getting a rental car you will go to the left and if its a shuttle you are going to go right. Just tell them not interested, my rental co./shuttle is waiting for me. They WILL make you think they are associated with you car rental co. or shuttle co. but they aren't...just deadhead to the door that you need-left or right.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,463 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best way to handle timeshare sellers?

I find I am rarely bothered, and when someone does ask, I simply say either No Thank You, or No Gracias, and continue walking. I smile but don't stop. I don't think you will be bothered once at PG. They will usually ask, and if you tell them you are definitely not interested, they don't seen to pester you. Dulce is frequently one of the greeters, and she is a real sweet person. Should you be bothered, just ask her to have them leave you alone, please.

Have a super holiday! I leave for PG on Sat. for my yearly Dec. stay!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
60 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best way to handle timeshare sellers?

We really appreciate all the advice, thanks!!

WA
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best way to handle timeshare sellers?

I found saying no thank you did not work. It worked okay for the vendors but not the timesharks which on the walk from the Rose to the Marina we got hit several times. I started saying we are leaving in 3 hours and that worked. As for the airport I was confused go outside to get your shuttle don't stop for anyone as they will act as though they are with which ever company you are booked with and say they are calling them. Also, however tempting it is to buy from the children on the street at night be careful.....two of the women from the spa said they are basically street kids and they are pimped out to sell. There is normally a man around the corner who takes the money and gives them a tiny cut. I learned this after giving $10.00 bills away for 50 cent items.

chicago
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best way to handle timeshare sellers?

For me the most bothersome was when they would come up to you in a restaurant in the hotels. We stayed at the Pacifica but went to eat at the SB a few times.

At the SB restaurants people would come up to the table while you are eating. You would keep saying no thanks. But they would keep talking.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best way to handle timeshare sellers?

OK,

Here's my take on the time share guys. I like to cut up with these guys whenever possible. They are doing their job. Do they have an annoying job to you and me? Yes. But, they are still people. I stayed right above one of the Mayan booths one time and it turned into a game. We would ask each other if we went to highschool together, or if the other did time in LA county jail, etc... most of the guys I have found will just laugh and say have a good day. Now if you want to REALLY get a double take, tell the timeshare guys as you are exiting the airport that you are leaving today. That one has brought high fives from the airport sharks before, and big laughs. Some of the guys wont see the humor, but many will, and you will brighten both your day's in the progress.

Peace, Love, and Fish Tacos,

Parmarlin

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,463 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best way to handle timeshare sellers?

I have never been bothered in a restaurant in Baja. I must look really poor ;-)

New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best way to handle timeshare sellers?

They are super agressive at the airport, especially to the ladies, but I have found that if you firmly say, "No me interesa, gracias" (I'm not interested-thanks), they really do leave you alone. I don't speak Spanish, but I learned that from a local and it's right to the point, but not rude. Telling them you're broke or you already own one is entirely too much information, and invites a dialogue you don't want. Never be rude!!! It's their country and they are trying to do a job. It also works with the vendors. They will leave you alone and move on to the next prospect.