We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone gone on an overnighter to La Paz while in Cabo?

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
544 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone gone on an overnighter to La Paz while in Cabo?

My hubby wants to try diving in the La Paz area in Feb. We would stay overnight somewhere (help needed for a place, please) and dive operators. Any other suggestions about La Paz would be delightfully welcomed. Thanks in advance and a wonderful Holiday to all.

California
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone gone on an overnighter to La Paz while in Cabo?

We stayed in La Paz two different times by the Malecon'. I thought it a hard city to drive in so staying within walking distance of Malecon is important. Walking downtown at night was a wonderful experience with all ages out late and socializing. Make sure you take the little drive towards Pichilingue...gorgeous peninsula. Unlike Cabo, it is a real city, real town, not a tourist town.

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone gone on an overnighter to La Paz while in Cabo?

Baja............Where did you stay? Your info would be so helpful.............Thanks in advance

California
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone gone on an overnighter to La Paz while in Cabo?

I'll look it up and get back to you...it was a cheap place through Baja travel club but had a cool inner courtyard with crazy, deep pool.

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone gone on an overnighter to La Paz while in Cabo?

Baja..........Thank you so much..........oh,oh, more...........Do you remember any good restaurants there also..........gratias

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,709 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone gone on an overnighter to La Paz while in Cabo?

I would stay at Los Arcos if I were to spend time there again-a room in the back if you want quiet.

It's a large, working city, but there are things to see and do........and the drive is very pretty in places. We did 3 nights there several years ago to see if we wanted to spend time there, and decided we didn't need to really go back. It's just too much of a city for my liking, but I am definitely glad we went and experienced it.

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone gone on an overnighter to La Paz while in Cabo?

Thanks Kay..............We may feel the same but we want to go at least once. My husband wants to dive there but we're having no luck so far finding out about weather, vis and water conditions in Feb. I did a post on the La Paz TA site but it's not nearly as active as our bustling Cabo forum. I did see that hotel and it sounds good. Thanks for the tip. Are you in Cabo in Feb at all? I'm looking forward to meeting some of the TA gang. Back to Christmas cooking..............Happy Holidays

Cabo San Lucas
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone gone on an overnighter to La Paz while in Cabo?

I agree with KatD's suggestion of Los Arcos. In my opinion staying along the malecon is a must but it's also quite noisy if you get a room with a malecon view so it's best to request a room in the middle.

st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone gone on an overnighter to La Paz while in Cabo?

katd you forgot to warn them of low tide and the smell. Don't go during an extreme low tide. Nice town, nice people as well. Enjoy.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,709 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone gone on an overnighter to La Paz while in Cabo?

Good point FSM! I thought about it though ;-)

We had some fantastic shrimp at a little place called The Cat House while we were there-it's along the water as you drive north out of La Paz.............started as a home and ended up being a restaurant/motel sort of place.

California
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone gone on an overnighter to La Paz while in Cabo?

cuti....We stayed two different times at Hotel Gardenias and once at El Morro. Gardenias was 45 per night and El Moro about twice that, with El Moro being twice as nice with a great lagoon type pool.

El Moro is on the Malecon and Gardenias is two blocks from. Gardenias recommended a restaurant about 15 minutes walk downtown but it wasn't good where the only notable thing about it was they served lemonade and other drinks in gigantic containers, jugs, ridiculously BIG.

Gardenias has a large deep pool with old fashioned diving board (when did you last see that at a hotel?) that each room opened up to in a courtyard. Tables and chairs were used by the guests to socialize and eat. IT has a very pleasant cafe with one worker that offers a decent breakfast. We were the only non-Mexicans at the hotel and being with all those families was enjoyable.

The El Moro is an interesting place of winding paths and lush plants with a lagoon pool and bridges that was full of families. It was so different than America with most families playing in the pool, all ages, no vanity bathing suits, lots of laughter.

We walked from Gardenias to Malecon and pased many houses that looked like thrown togehter shacks but the more we looked we saw that behind the homemade fences were all ages socializing, small gardens growing tomatoes and peppers, til at least 11pm.

What I loved about La Paz was that it was very Mexican and very different than Cabo. In all the towns in Baja. except Cabo area. we saw the same thing: all ages socializing, meeting in the town square, til late at night .

When we asked if it was safe to walk at night they seemed offended at thought the question was weird. Someone explained it was almost unthinkable to trespass against anothers person (to hurt them) but stealing occasionally happened.

There is nothing special about Gardenias...it was simply inexpensive and adequate.