We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better late than never - my trip report

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Better late than never - my trip report

Happy as ever with our week at Cascadas.

Got in on Thursday in time to enjoy a beverage at the pool bar, meeting up with friends we've made over the years. Walked down the beach to what used to be Las Palmas. Don't remember the new name, but the new owners are doing better food, better ambience, and just a well-done experience.

Friday we went to City Club to stock up for the week, then hung out at the pool some more. Made new friends at the Friday night margarita party, and we all headed into town to the Baja Cantina for dinner. Good food, and they did a great joy with our unannounced party of 10. Then we all headed down to Squid Roe to dance the rest of the night away.

We ate at Margaritaville and Solomon's Landing for lunch, both were good. Dinner at Justo al Gusto was a highlight of the trip. The melted cheese appetizer is to die for!

Disappointed this trip in Sancho Panza's. We've enjoyed both the wine tastings and dinner in the past. This year the $20 wine tasting was of barely adequate Australian wines that we can buy for ~$7 each in the States. And the menu had changes; not in a good way. Don't think we'll go back mext year.

Cascadas has a new manager, and that always causes trepidation. However the changes are subtle and welcome - built in tables around a larger number of palapas on the beach; the sushi at the tibiron pool was good and fresh; there seemed to be more activities (although we didn't participate in any of them, I'd like to next year). Everyone was as helpful and friendly as always!

Fishing - my husband goes almost every year and this year I decided to try too! Hubby and his friend each caught a dorado, and <drumroll, please> I got a ~ 125 # marlin. Being a wussy girl, I needed help with it, so really I only got half a marlin. But the experience of reeling that bad boy in, and seeing him up close before we released it, is something I'll never forget. Another never to forget was eating the dorado sashimi-style as the hand was cleaning it! El Budster took very good care of us.

Cascadas cooked up some ot the dorado for us, and we had more sashimi style. The blackened version was the best - and the best blackened fish I've ever had anywhere.

We love our home away from home at Cascadas!

California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better late than never - my trip report

Great catch and release!!Way to go!!

I have only visited Cascadas and from the moment you walk in it is a special place. I wish I had bought in there a long time ago!

Thanks for the report. :-)

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better late than never - my trip report

Forgot a couple things:

Tequila and lunch at Panchos - including hubby's tutorial from Juan Carlos - was as fun as ever.

And instead of coming straight home, this year we headed to Todos Santos for a couple days. Found a wonderful hammered copper sink and some art, ate wonderful food, Zu at Tequila Sunrise made us the world's best margaritas, and told us how to replicate them at home. We stayed at the Hotel California and really enjoyed it. Music was good, so we never needed our iPod, and the live music Friday night was fun to enjoy from our balcony, where we danced the night away! Heavenly!

There was some sort of Saint's day the day we left, so there was a parade with music through town. Something you'd never see in CSL.

st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Better late than never - my trip report

How was the pool at hotel california???

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Better late than never - my trip report

Small and cold - we never got into it. Pretty, though.

Kent, OH
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Better late than never - my trip report

VD,

Thanks for sharing your trip!

Now how do we make this margarita?

kman

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Better late than never - my trip report

My husband got the t-shirt, recipe on the back.

Winner Best Recipe 2003

"Damiana Margarita"

3 oz. Ice

2 oz. Tequila

1 oz. Controy

1 oz. Damiana

and a lot of Lime Juice

He said juice of 3 limes when we were there, but for me, that's too much lime. Gives me heartburn, unfortunately.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Better late than never - my trip report

Don't use the regular limes, use Key Limes, the smaller ones.

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Better late than never - my trip report

vd.........How were the rooms at the Hotel California? The Hotel is so neat. I'm still using the soap they sell in the gift shop. I'll be taking some girlfriends there in May. just wondering how big the rooms are and ballpark cost. Nice post and glad you had a nice time. 27 more days for us............You weren'y wussy, this wuss fed the fish the whole time out and I was practically raised on the water here in Wi. What a thrill, way to go girl...........

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Better late than never - my trip report

OH! I meant to say congrats on that marlin!! You go girl! I really wanted to try my hand at it too, but I didn't get a chance. Hopefully next year!

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Better late than never - my trip report

If you need to use large limes, about 1/2 per seems to work for us. Be careful - these are dangerous.

The room at the HC was small but cute - but we were spoiled after a week at Cascadas. If it hadn't had a HUGE deck, we wouldn't have been happy. As it was, we spent most of our time on the deck when we weren't out shopping, eating or drinking.

There were a lot of common areas in the hotel section of the HC. So you probably don't need to spend a lot of time in your room even if you don't have a huge deck.

I really ought to file a trip report on the TS leg too. But I'm lucky I got this done ;-)