We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo vs. Royal Solaris. Is the upgrade worth it?

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
152 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelo vs. Royal Solaris. Is the upgrade worth it?

We need a hotel for 2 nights before we check into Hacienda Del Mar (they quoted a rate of $450/night for the extra nights)

I have tentatively booked at the Royal Solaris.

For an extra $200 I can upgrade to the new Barcelo.

Since it really only means one full day (we arrive at 7 pm) is it worth it?

Can anyone share personal comparisons between the 2 resorts?

I have read ALL info available online that I can find.

Edited: 08 February 2010, 21:06
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
63,609 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelo vs. Royal Solaris. Is the upgrade worth it?

Is an All Inclusive resort really worth it from 7pm Day 1 till 10 am Day 3? I think I might stay in town for something different ~ like the Tropicana.

Someone else recently posted that he tried Hotwire for his extra two nights and got the Presidente.

No opinion on Barcelo vs Solaris for two nights. Good luck with your decision.

California
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelo vs. Royal Solaris. Is the upgrade worth it?

My Question to you is "why are you only looking at those 2 resorts?". I personally don't care for the Royal Solaris. We found it to be the "Motel 6" of all inclusives. The food is not good and the pool is either filled with drunk college kids or lots of small kids. I have heard the Barcelo is nice but looks pricey. If you are staying at the Hacienda del MAr, why not stay closer to it. I know you can get decent rates at one of the resorts near Cabo. I personally don't care for all inclusives in Cabo since there are so many good restaurants to choose from and so many fun bars to drink at.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
993 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelo vs. Royal Solaris. Is the upgrade worth it?

I have visited and stayed at Royal Solaris Resorts and Barcelo resorts in other areas of Mexico. I have found poor service at Royal Solaris compared to Barcelo. The Barcelo there is new and I won't be there until May to try it out. But honestly, Barcelo does an excellent job, you will be blown away!

PL

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
152 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelo vs. Royal Solaris. Is the upgrade worth it?

Thanks!

Any other hotel suggestions-I have read trip advisor till I am blue in the face and cross eyed-some other suggestions- President maybe? We do have kids.

Need to just land and not worry about anything until we check in to the Hacienda Del Mar-their nightly rate is through the roof otherwise I would book there.

Thornton, Colorado
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelo vs. Royal Solaris. Is the upgrade worth it?

Have you tried booking direct with the Los Cabos Presidente?

6. Re: Barcelo vs. Royal Solaris. Is the upgrade worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about San Jose del Cabo