We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timeshares!

London, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Timeshares!

Can anyone recommend a hotel close to/on the beach which does pester you with timeshare people. Dont mind a little pestering, but reading some of the reviews on trip advisor it seems some hotels attract timeshare on a big scale.

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
16,147 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timeshares!

The largest group of timeshare sales is at the airport as you leave customs/immigration. The room is filled with timeshare people claiming to be your transportation, or information help. Most of the resorts have a timeshare team. What exactly are you asking?

London, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timeshares!

Sorry I mistyped!!! I am looking for a hotel where you get least bothered by timeshares, or am I right in thinking all the hotels have some sort of timeshare people, so wherever I choose to go I will get harassed by them?. I just wondered if some hotels have less trouble than others. I am finding it very difficult to pick a hotel, one of our hopes is to be able to go whale watching in December and not sure whether to pick hotels facing the Pacific or Sea of COrtez, the more I look into it, the more I am confused! I thought I had it sorted out, then started reading the time share horrors!.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
64,527 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timeshares!

I think that almost all (all?) at least ask you when you check in. But a polite no usually means no more timeshare talk at all.

In addition to the airport, there are numerous timeshare folks downtown at "visitor information" desks.

Avoiding a TS sales pitch shouldn't be a priority in hotel selection as they are all so similar. What else do you want in a resort? Have you read the Top Questions about Cabo in the upper right? There is a great lodging question than might help you narrow your search.

If you read the hotel reviews, you'll hear from lots of folks who did almost NO research before their trip, got sucked into a TS presentation, did not know how to say no, and suffered. Then they posted a "hotel review", never posting on the forum at all. With preparation, your Cabo trip can be exactly what you'd like it to be!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
64,527 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Timeshares!

Oops. Just noticed that you're posting on the San Jose Del Cabo forum and asking Cabo San Lucas questions. Best to repost on that forum, and to include specifics about your resort/hotel needs. Most forum folks are good about suggesting places that suit the needs of the traveler rather than suggesting their one favorite place to everyone.

London, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Timeshares!

ok thank you for all your help.

cabo san lucas
Level Contributor
82 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Timeshares!

OK non timeshare hotels will be Club Cascadas de Baja, on the main beach, Cabo Pacifica, where you can see a ton of whales, Hacienda Cabo, Sirena, Zoetry (formerly Casa del Mar), Cabo Surf Hotel and there really are not many that are not timeshare.

London, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Timeshares!

thank you for your help, I will look at the hotels you have suggested.

Ontario
Level Contributor
351 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Timeshares!

Even Casa Del Mar has lots of time share people as I discovered when I visited last year.

If you want somewhere more quiet, I would suggest you select a condo resort that doesn't have an onsite restaurant (salesmen park themselves in restaurants within resorts too). Also, unless you really have to swim in the ocean - swimmable beaches draw salesmen.

You can rent easily a beautiful condo in the San Jose del Cabo area (where a number of hotels are located) and will have easy access to tour the lovely town, fine dining and shops/galleries. The beach in that area is not swimmable though, so depends whether you want beautiful pools or to swim in the ocean. When the ocean is swimmable -- it automatically attracts numerous trinket sellers and timeshare salesmen. We purchased at Las Mananitas, which is a condo resort, right on the beach -- so we have a fantastic beach view, clear of salesmen. Many condos there are rented out - they are newer, and there is a sophisticated rental system provided by www.bajavacations.com. When we want to go partying in cabo -- we just drive the 20-25 minutes, or take a cab, .... but can return to the peace and tranquility, lovely pools, gyms etc. of Mananitas. If we feel like some culture and fine dining - it is a 5 min, 70 peso bus, or $5 cab ride into San Jose del Cabo.

9. Re: Timeshares!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2010, 05:17