We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabo Car Rentals & Insurance Required

Which San Jose del Cabo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Temecula
1 post
Save Topic
Cabo Car Rentals & Insurance Required

I am taking a trip to Cabo and flying in to Los Cabos International airport. I have been checking out the option of renting a car for the week. Can someone please recommend a rental agency and tell me if they accept my insurance here in the states, or do they make you buy theirs? Also, if they do make you buy theirs...what do they normally charge? Or is it better just to set up transportation with the hotel for pickup and return trips? Any advice is appreciated...thanks kindly.

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabo Car Rentals & Insurance Required

Got home last night Sept 11th. National Car Rental (Mexico website not US website) they charge less for some unknown reason from airport than Canadian or US website for same car. Join their Emerald Club online before booking your rental - it's free and will give you a free upgrade and a discount off when you book. We booked a Cavalier and they upgraded us to a Jetta for same price. You MUST purchase Mexican Insurance It is the law. Your US drivers license is accepted - no need for International drivers license. When I booked online the insurance for a cavalier for 1 week was $126.00US (this is for partial insurance) My advise is to pay the extra $7.00US/day which will give you FULL Coverage Insurance. PAY IN PESOS CASH Their exchange rate was 13%. We paid $5,950.87 Pesos including all taxes and insurance for a VW Jetta from Airport location - Saturday picked up at 4:30pm dropped off at 2:30pm following Saturday. Check in at airport National Car Rental Deck and they will have call for a shuttle to take you to the nearby rental office. Toll Booth road saves you 15 minutes and only costs $25 pesos. Also at gas stations Mandatory they pump. Make sure they reset to Zero before they start pumping. Hope this helps. Email me if you need to know anything about driving around or other San Jose Del Cabo tips. Where to eat, beaches, day trips, etc. Sharon rstorkos@telus.net

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,551 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabo Car Rentals & Insurance Required

$5,950.87 Pesos = $460US That's kind of pricey.

Other options...

Dominic www.DominicLosCabos.com He will meet you at the airport, pay him cash for full coverage, and off you go. At the end of your stay leave the car at the airport. Simple, personal service.

Antonio AMiranda@AlamoRentACar.com.mx Ask for a TripAdvisor rate.

Rent a car just for a few days from your resort or nearby.

Where are you staying? Do you need a car?

ocala florida
Level Contributor
37 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabo Car Rentals & Insurance Required

I also rent from Dominc & have been very pleased with his service. If you choose a large rental firm I would suggest Avis as they include the required liabilty insurance with the rental. Use your credit cards insurance for the collision insurance. Check with your card company before you leave typically you just decline the cdw

Jefferson, South...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabo Car Rentals & Insurance Required

How much is Dominic for the week?

Arizona
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabo Car Rentals & Insurance Required

depending on what you want - I have a grand marquis for a week for 350 - everything included, and you don't have to fill it up upon returning to airport.

sure, the cars aren't brand new, but everyone says they're reliable.

works for me.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabo Car Rentals & Insurance Required

I was quoted 350 all in for a week as well.Car at the airport upon arrival and ropped off at departure.Dominic sure comes well recommended from TA users

I usually allways rent a car and I an still unsure if it is necassary.I dont want to hijack this post.but it's in the same vein

I am staying at Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar.Any thoughts if car rental is needed

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cabo Car Rentals & Insurance Required

Hi, I just posted a new topic for Dominic Los Cabos - see there too. Check out his site at: www.dominicloscabos.com

We paid $350 for a week, and had exceptional service. Dominic has a wonderful company! Enjoy your trip.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cabo Car Rentals & Insurance Required

I tried to rent a car from Dominic, but he said he only has an expedition available when we need it and we wanted a car.

Was thinking of renting from National, but was wondering how $122 for a week became $460? Even with the tax, airport fee, liab ins and car seat I am only coming up with $264 for the week for the Cavalier. Am I missing something?

We usually like to rent from local companies when we go to Mexico, but have not had much time to research.

Kansas CIty...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cabo Car Rentals & Insurance Required

Try Antonio at Alamo like PNWfamily suggested. We're using them in November. So far they've been easy to work with and have competitive pricing. You can pick up or drop off at the airport or in town. Also, included in their quote is the mandatory liability insurance that most rental companies don't tell you about until you get there....so no surprises.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cabo Car Rentals & Insurance Required

I just got an answer from Antonio with a decent price. I believe Alamo is not actually on the airport property? If not, do you know if they pick you up to go to their office or do you still need to get a taxi for that?

Get answers to your questions about San Jose del Cabo