We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying sunscreen in San Jose Del Cabo

Which San Jose del Cabo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Redwood City...
Level Contributor
84 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Buying sunscreen in San Jose Del Cabo

Is there a place to purchase sunscreen for a reasonable price in San Jose Del Cabo? We will go to Mega Mart for groceries, does anyone know what approx. prices for sunscreen are there? I would prefer not to check luggage and bringing sunscreen is the only reason I would have to.

california
Level Contributor
76 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying sunscreen in San Jose Del Cabo

We have the very same issue. When we went to Puerto Rico last year I got lucky and found a CVS that sold it for same price as here. Im curious about San Jose though.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying sunscreen in San Jose Del Cabo

I looked at the prices at the Mega early in the year, my impression was its expensive.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,991 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying sunscreen in San Jose Del Cabo

I had to buy sunscreen once. (The brand new bottle I brought with me had a defective spray nozzle.) The price didn't really matter since I had to have it to survive in that fabulous sunshine. My notes show the price was 168 pesos, purchased at a small store.

I'd guess that the Mega price will be in the 120 - 180 peso range, depending on what you buy. You won't find any end-of-season sales like you'll see in the US & Canada right now since sunscreen is always "in season" in Los Cabos!

kimchi213 ~ since you're already going to Mega, I think you should just buy it.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,675 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying sunscreen in San Jose Del Cabo

Yes, I agree. We find it a little more expensive there...but for the convenience, and if you check a bag nowadays with any airline you are often charged extra. So, I also vote for the "just buy it there" option.

Edited: 31 July 2013, 00:44
Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
244 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying sunscreen in San Jose Del Cabo

We always bring just carry on luggage. Don't know what kind of sunscreen you like but we bring about four of the Neutrogena brand with us since they are 3.0 oz. they can be packed in your carry on. I can get four in a Qt. size bag. If we run out we can always find No-Ad in a pharmacy in Mexico. We will be in SJD next year so I will check and see if Costco carries the Neutrogena brand. Here at home they have the best price for a pack of two/3.0 oz. and two/1.0 oz. for $16.-19. depending on if it's on coupon.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,006 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying sunscreen in San Jose Del Cabo

Hi, we just came back and forgot our sun screen...saw the price in the small shop at the hotel and gagged so I went to the MEGA store near by thinking it would be much cheaper there - NOT!! cheapest bottle there was a small bottle for 195 pesos! i ended up buying Hawaiian Tropic brand for 225 pesos because I wanted water resistant lotion - so basically it was twice as much as I would have paid back home.

my advice - buy at home and don't forget it!!

Jo

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
84 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying sunscreen in San Jose Del Cabo

thanks for the info!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying sunscreen in San Jose Del Cabo

Ouch I just bought a big bottle of SPF 60 Sun Screen for 7 dollars Canadian in an end of Summer Sale at Shoppers Drug Mart in Vancouver.Thanks for the advice.In fact I will go back and buy one more since I will be travelling with family

Osoyoos, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying sunscreen in San Jose Del Cabo

I always take sunscreen and after sun along with us - lesson learned many many years ago. I'm in Calgary -- This week Rexall drug stores have a number of brands 50% off this week. so... Hawaiin Tropic regularly $11.99 was only $6 plus GST here in Alberta. And if you're an Aeroplan member you receive points as well. Great deal. Flying WestJet next January and staying a month so will be paying that extra $20 for a second suitcase me thinks...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying sunscreen in San Jose Del Cabo

The sun screen is going on clearance here now at 3-4$ a container.An extra suitcase costs 20$.I had the wild crazy idea of buying 30-40 containers and swapping it for stuff like Tequila,souvenirs etc next trip.But then I realized I would be in trouble with Mexican customs.I still cant get the image of 25$-30$ sunscreen out of mind.