We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo or Riu Palace

Which San Jose del Cabo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelo or Riu Palace

These 2 all inclusives are rated and priced very similar. Have stayed at the Riu palace before and enjoyed it but am interested in the Barcelo because we like visiting San Jose. Which is better?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelo or Riu Palace

We've been to both. I think I would rather stay at Barcelo over Riu. My reason is for the pool. I don't like the setup of the swimup pool at Riu, very small. Barcelo has 4 pools, one being adult only, one with a swimup, one without and a small kiddie splash pool.

Ala carte dinners are based on length of stay. 4 ala carte dinners with a 7 night stay and reservations are needed. Rooms would be a notch better than Riu. There is a charge for room service, unless you book the Club Premium for $$

I do like the fact that you can walk into San Jose in about 20-30 minutes. 5 minutes to Mega and main highway to catch bus into Cabo.

FYI - Barcelo is changing over to Hyatt in November, I believe. Obviously, I don't know what kind of impact that will have.

Edited: 14 October 2013, 18:45
Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelo or Riu Palace

Thanks for the reply. I wish I had a better feel as to what the change to Hyatt might bring.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelo or Riu Palace

The Hyatt isn't likely to bring any major change, it should be business as usual - which is alo the case for the Royal in Cancun which Hyatt is also taking over.

As for your original question, I have stayed at both resorts (Barcelo 2 times, Riu 1 time) and MUCH prefer Barcelo. The rooms are a lot nicer, so is the pool area, lounge chairs, and the service.

4. Re: Barcelo or Riu Palace

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2014, 06:20