We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtle Release?

Which San Jose del Cabo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
114 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Turtle Release?

My husband and I are staying in SJD dec. 5-15. Any chance this timing would be right for a turtle release? Also, wonder if we will see whales?? Now, completely off my original subject...we are wondering if there are any super inexpensive 'taco stand' type places to eat in SJ. We have stayed and ate at many of the beautiful restaurants there in the past and intend to again however, we would also like to experience some inexpensive and super casual drop-in 'taco & a beer' style :)

Olympia, WA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,981 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Turtle Release?

an2jo2, I just went to Teo's website, and they say on their map that they have moved to where El Chilar used to be. Mystery solved. They also are advertising 2 x 1 burgers on Sunday until 11 pm. Yum! Their Choyero burger (from chorizo) is killer!!!!

Thornton, Colorado
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Turtle Release?

Awesome! Thank You Eljefe. Have a great trip and enjoy one of those burgers for me!

Olympia, WA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,981 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Turtle Release?

I might just go on Sunday and try to enjoy two!!! (maybe when I was younger)

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Turtle Release?

We just returned from a week in SJ Cabo and found a turtle hatchery on the beach in front of the Holiday Inn, close to the path by the estuary. They were not releasing the baby turtles, but gathering them as they hatch to let them mature a little before release. If they have any in there during your visit you might catch them gathering. Look for a low stone walled enclosure with wire fencing around it.

Thornton, Colorado
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Turtle Release?

The corral is located between the estuary and the hotel just off the hotel property (use to be inside the property line) easy to find just go over to the esplanade and follow it to the left as you are looking at the ocean and you will find the corral or from the lobby looking toward the ocean go through the doors to the left by the jewelry shop follow until you get to the stairs on the left going to what appears to be the back of the property go up 6 steps then down 6 steps you will see the adult pool to the left, Alma's bar and estuary in front of you and a bit to the right you will see the gazebo and a bit more to the right you will see the turtle corral. I remember the many times they would do releases right from the property and allow the guests to be part of it but unfortunately too many people didn't handle the babies with the necessary care and handling needed and in the interest of taking care of the babies they had to take away that privilege! Our last trip in Oct/Nov I found 8 of the babies very early one morning far from the corral close to our room (don't know how they got there) and security helped me get them to the ocean, as many times as I have been part of the releases over many years I think this was by far the most special!

16. Re: Turtle Release?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2014, 05:16