We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reservations??

Which San Jose del Cabo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Reservations??

We are a family of four (grown kids) arriving in Cabo on the afternoon of 12/24 and staying for a week at El Zalate near SJD. We normally like to "play it by ear" and not plan things too far in advance. However, I am a little nervous about our timing. We plan on renting a car for a few days but not the entire time. Here are my questions:

Do we need to reserve airport transportation in advance?

Will we be able to get some groceries in the late afternoon of 12/24?

Do we need to make reservations for dinner on the evening of 12/24? (not too fancy)

Will we be able to rent a car in the middle of the week if we don't plan now?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,533 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reservations??

I would definitely arrange transportation now. Private is close to the cost of a taxi or maybe even cheaper. Contact info for all the options: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g152515-c129424 (Those prices are to Zone 3; you'll be in Zone 1.)

There may be cars available for you, but you're visiting during the busiest time of the year. Do you feel lucky?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reservations??

Thank you . I will try to arrange something.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reservations??

You'll definitely want to arrange your transportation in advance. We usually use Cabo San Lucas Tours - operated by Transcabo but for some reason cheaper.

www.cabosanlucastours.net/Airport-Shuttle.htm

You will need to do private to El Zalate, but if you don't have too much luggage, you can do a shuttle to Bel Air and then walk it to El Zalate basically next door, just past the driveway to La Jolla (which joins Bel Air).

Christmas Eve is fairly quiet and I suspect you would be able to walk into town and find a nice place to eat..

Yes, you will be able to shop at Mega in the late afternoon on the 24th, but probably not too late as Christmas Eve is their big dinner. Mega should also be open Christmas Day.

You might be able to get a car from Fiesta mid-week. There is a small kiosk in the same plaza as Subway just at the bottom of your driveway,. But you might want to see if you can reserve it a day or so in advance. I know that just about everyone else (Alamo, Cactus, etc.) are all out of cars for that week. I saw on the Fiesta website that it's $75 per day plus insurance. That is much more expensive than normal.

Edited: 09 December 2013, 03:18
Kelowna
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reservations??

Hi there:

Going to El Zalate...re: Transportation..When booking with the company you recommended (2013), would you say you are going to the bel air? Thanks...the info you provide is greatly appreciated!!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reservations??

You can book a private round trip transfer to el Zalate for $149. Or a shared round trip shuttle to Bel Air for $50 per person, and then walk next door to El Zalate (down La jolla's driveway, over about 100 feet and up El Zalate's driveway. But now there is a slight complication. bel Air isn't open due to their renovations.. We usually prefer to do a one way shuttle and taxi back because you can always walk over and grab a cab at bel air and have it drive over to pick you up. But since bel air isn't open there are no taxi's.

For peace of mind and the convenience, I would recommend just getting the return private shuttle. Or if you want to do any day trips to cabo, or go out to flora farms for lunch or dinner, or go snorkelling at chileno bay, or run to costco or mega or Walmart for groceries, it might be worth just renting a car from the airport once you add that all up (taking into consideration that at the moment it is challenging to get taxi's out at El Zalate.)

Kelowna
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reservations??

Thank you! Anyone in particular we should ask for?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reservations??

Here's the list from the Top Questions on the right:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g150773-c205752/Los-C…

People rave about Ceilito Lindo. We've used Transcabo before. I suspect any will do a good job.

8. Re: Reservations??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2015, 06:16