We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn Resort, questions from a first timer

Which San Jose del Cabo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
VictoriaBC
Level Contributor
61 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday Inn Resort, questions from a first timer

We have booked a week at the H.I. and this will be our first time at an all inclusive so have a few questions. Did a search but couldn't find too much recent information.

Seems that tipping is appropriate. Is it better to tip with dollars or pesos and should we leave money forhousekeeping every day - are envelopes provided?

What are the a la carte restaurants and is there still a problem getting reservations? How does that all work? Some reviews are rather rude about the food - are those people just picky?!

I believe there are mini fridges in the rooms - do they just contain water and soft drinks? Is it possible to buy drinks and take them to the room? - we have an oceanfront lanai so seems it would be nice to relax there with a cold beer.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Thornton, Colorado
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Inn Resort, questions from a first timer

Hola islandtraveller60,

Tipping in my opinion is appropriate but many people don't and generally it will not affect the service you get, in fact just being pleasant not rude & demanding goes a long way! Although it is stated that tips are included in the all inclusive by the time that very small percentage of your bill is divided among the staff it is a very small amount. We tip in pesos because it is easier for the staff and yes we leave money for the house keeper daily usually 50 pesos and then the day we leave we always leave all the coins we have managed to collect during the stay.

The a la carte restaurants vary depending on the time of year but basically they are Napa, Fruita de Floras & la Terraza and on occasion especially during high season they use El Caribeno. As far as reservations go I have never had any issue getting a reservation, I know some people complain about it but the problem I have seen is everyone wants to eat between 5:30 & 7:00 so if you are willing to go for a later dinner like 8:00 or 9:00 you won't have a problem. The buffet dinners are for the most part held on the esplanade and include some type of theme show with them and I personally think the food is sometimes better especially for the Mexican Fiesta.

As far as the room mini frig yes it is stocked daily with water & soft drinks (coke, coke lite, sprite, mineral water) you can get beer from room service your choices are Tecate, Tecate Lite or Dos XX just have them bring you 6 at a time there is a 50 peso charge for the room service but it doesn't matter if you order 1 thing or a dozen it is only 1 charge. You don't have to buy drinks they come with your all inclusive package (although the room service is a small extra charge) if you want a mixed drink to enjoy on your lanai then you could just go to the bar have them make you one and take it back to the room or you could do what I do and go to Mega pickup your favorite liquor & mix and have it in your room for those times you just want to hang out on the patio then all you need is to get ice from one of the ice machines or one of the bars.

Hope I helped answer your questions...the hotel isn't the newest or the fanciest but she still has a bit of magic to her and the staff are just incredible!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,143 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Inn Resort, questions from a first timer

An2Jo2..................do they still serve that amazing lamb dish in the buffet????????? That was wonderful, and I'd love to have that recipe!

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!

Thornton, Colorado
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Inn Resort, questions from a first timer

KatD are you speaking of the coconut crusted lamb? If so the answer is no although Max my most favorite chef and awesome guy has on occasion made it for me on special occasions. I do have the recipe and will be most happy to share it with you if you would like it. It is surprising that it is very simple (I like simple) but tastes so yummy!

Happy New Year to you! And thank you for the birthday wishes you helped make a down day much brighter!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,143 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Inn Resort, questions from a first timer

Oh, I don't think it was that one-as I don't remember any coconut! It sounds wonderful though, as I love lamb! I'd love to try it..........and it's been so long, that may actually be it! My memory isn't what it used to be!

Any time I can make your day a little brighter makes mine brighter! xo

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,596 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday Inn Resort, questions from a first timer

hey Anita - are you at HI now?

VictoriaBC
Level Contributor
61 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday Inn Resort, questions from a first timer

Thanks an2jo2 for answering my questions. I wonder when you were there last ? We will be there the third week of January, is the weather reliably warm and dry I wonder? Last time we were in Mexico, we were near Puerto Vallarta for two weeks inJanuary and didn't see much sun and there were a couple of fairly intense storms.

We haven't returned to Mexico, mainly because we were both ill there and I picked up a parasite the effects of which lingered a long time! I don't think I need to worry in the resort or even in the restaurants in San Jose, do I?

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,143 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday Inn Resort, questions from a first timer

An2Jo2 is a frequent HI guest.............and truly knows the property well.

I have been in Los Cabos in Jan., and the weather was definitely warm and sunny except for about an hour of light showers. That said-the weather is changeable, but with Baja being a desert, it is more often dry that rainy with the exception of hurricane season.

I have been going to Baja for many, many years, and while picking up a bug is possible any where, I have not been troubled in Cabo and the surrounding areas, and I have eaten in some rather "interesting" places ;) The resorts and restaurants use purified water, some resorts have desalinated, which may taste a bit odd at first. Also, bottled is available should you feel better going that route. I hope you truly enjoy your stay, and the weather stays perfect for you.

Thornton, Colorado
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday Inn Resort, questions from a first timer

KatD, if it isn't the coconut crusted it is the lamb confetti neither of which are on the menus anymore:-( I will get the recipes together and email them to you, both are really simple and both are very very good!:-)

Shelb, wish I could say I was there but due to some last minute really awful family stuff I had to cancel my never to be missed always there for the holidays at the last minute. Literally spent 3 days crying and totally feeling sorry for myself:-(

islandtraveler60, my last trip to the hotel was Oct 29th for a really short 5 days, prior to that my trips just for 2013 were in Jan, April, Jun, the end of July (for Alma's birthday my favorite bartender at the hotel as well as a dear friend). Generally I am there at least 4 times a year and sometimes as many as 6, I have been known to find excuses I call them reasons to have to make a trip. Usually just the fact that I can get up in the morning and am still breathing is a good enough excuse/reason for me to go. You will find the days are very warm but the nights and early mornings can get chilly so bring along a lite jacket or hoodie. I have stayed at this hotel over 140 times in the last 32 years and have never had any problems with getting sick from the food or water the tap water is safe I use it to brush my teeth but they do supply you with bottled water and if you request water at the restaurants or bars at the hotel it is from bottled water. The ice is also safe. The only time I have ever had any health issue was just a freaky thing that involved getting a bunch of mosquito bites and having a reaction to them which was immediately fixed by the on site medical staff. Actually I have never had any kind of problem with any food or drink or water ever in any restaurant/bar I have gone to in Los Cabos. I stay at this hotel because I do love the location and especially the stay and when I go to Mexico I want to stay in a place that looks and feels like Mexico, I don't much care for staying in a hotel that looks Las Vegas with a beach. You will enjoy your stay there of that I am sure!

VictoriaBC
Level Contributor
61 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday Inn Resort, questions from a first timer

Thanks for the reassurance, now we're really looking forward to the trip. Perhaps we should pack some insect repellent though!

Thornton, Colorado
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday Inn Resort, questions from a first timer

islandtraveler60,

As to the insect repellent I just want to add my other half, our kids & grandkids have never had a problem with the mosquitos just me so while I admit I always bring along a can of OFF (I think it is called Smooth & Silk) it doesn't smell bad and is non greasy and has Deet in it generally the only time I have needed it is during the months of Aug thru Oct when it is very hot & humid. Should I get any bites I also always go to the Pharmacia and get Celetimina (similar to Benadryl) and FastAid for any itching. In late January you will be fine as the little buggers are very few and far between.

Let me know if I can help with any other questions about my other better home with the staff being my other WAY better relatives:-)