We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Palace today!

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
139 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Palace today!

To all people concerned about this Hotel, i can tell you all is well!

I am staying here right now and it is great!

People who complain about the food are full of crap!

There is variety & quality and excellent service.

Pools are clean, rooms are great, staff are very happy to serve you with your every desire.

You will not be disappointed, weather is beyond the control of the Riu or anyone else, some rain but hot & sunny the rest of the time.

Please come & enjoy this great resort!!!

Toronto
Level Contributor
148 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Palace today!

Thank you travelfreak. I am headed to the Riu on Monday and have been stressed about all of the negativity I've been reading.

Any suggestions for room number and location?

Thanks a lot

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
139 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Palace today!

we are in the left side of resort if you are facing the ocean, very quiet at night.

4th floor!

have a great trip!

Toronto
Level Contributor
148 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Palace today!

Thanks! Packing right now. Looking forward to arriving tomorrow. How's the weather been?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Palace today!

Thank you! Thank You! Thank You! We are going 21-28 for a girls trip. How is the spa? I am sooooo glad you posted I have been worried.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
139 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Palace today!

I am sorry no info on the spa!

Have a great holiday !!!

Use the room safe for your valuables.

If you like specialty drinks try a "Dirty Monkey" Marco at one of the pool bars makes them the best with fresh bananas.

Taxis are exspensive but the bus is only 60 cents vs a $20 cab ride, you decide.

Lots to see in Cabo and in San Jose.

Some people were ill at the resort but it is difficult to lay blame one single item it could be a combination of too much sun, drink and overindulgence too.

Sick is no way to spend your trip, moderation & Imodium can go a long way to keeping you " good to go"

have fun.

Minneapolis
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Palace today!

I'm so glad to have finally heard a solid, good review about the status and condition the hotel is in after the hurricane. I was worried that pools would be nasty, the beaches all wrecked, the rooms leaky, etc.

The major concerns we had were about the 2 double beds being pushed together. Is your room like that? Any way to change that (upon request)?

Also, lots of review about sulfer/sewer/rotten egg smell in the room. Does your room have those awful odors? We're planning on bring airfreshners/candles to help if that is the case....

And you mentioned that you are on the LEFT side of the hotel. Is that how they break it up, LEFT and RIGHT? ANd you're sayin the LEFT has ocean views, and is fairly quiet?

I also heard to bring your own insulted cup for drinks at the bars (ice stays longer)? Did you see anyone w/ these?

Any other advice regarding excursions (ATV's, jetskis, whalewatching, sunset cruises, etc.), going into town, or other "MUST DO's"?

Thanks again for your posting(s), they are SUPER HELPFUL!

Only 12 more days til Cabo :)

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
139 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Palace today!

Jason,

where to start?

our room 4125 ,was a jr. suite, it faced the centre of the Hotel and had a partial ocean view it was a little musty due to the fact it is extremely humid right now.

We had a King bed, couch & coffee table double sinks in the bathroom, fridge was always stocked & there was rum vodka and brandy as well.

The left side is exactly the same as the right hand side of the resort

both sides have pool bars.

Book your dinners between 11am- 4pm outside main buffet for the 4 specialty restaurants.

Friends did ATV tour & loved it, sunset cruise is good too.

For regular shopping or groceries check out Sorianas( Similar to Supercentre Walmart) or CCC only 60 pesos on local bus,getting there is an adventure in itself too.

For Bars,

Check out Cabo Wabo, El Squid row ( my favorite), Hard Rock etc.

Travel mugs are a good idea, keeps drinks cold, no worry of poorly washed plastic glasses either.

I hope this helps!

Toronto
Level Contributor
148 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Palace today!

Hey travelfreak,

I was given room 4125. Arrived Monday, I guess you headed home then. Fabulous room. Unbelievable views from this room. You can see right into Cabo San Lucas, lands end....This place is stunning. I agree, the pools are clean, the food is great. Ate at the Steakhouse the first night, buffet last night. No complaints. A lot of variety. Yes, there are flies, however, it is hot, hot, hot. I havent witnessed hundreds of flies on the food. We eat at the first opening of the restaurants and this avoids to many people picking over the food.

The rooms are very clean, the grounds are well maintained. The staff are always cleaning. I cant understand all of the negative reviews.

to everyone else, come and enjoy the place. It is fabulous!

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
139 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Palace today!

I cannot believe you have the exact same room!

have a great stay & keep the comments coming.

Toronto
Level Contributor
148 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Palace today!

Hi, it's me again. Another gorgeous day!! Sunshine, no clouds, and hot. Again, can't say enough about this place. The wait staff are extremely friendly and quick service, tip or no tip. I don't know how to describe the scenery. Sitting every night in the lobby bar, overlooking the ocean, the waves lapping in......... wow! Another fine meal last night in the buffet.

I haven't bothered to wait in the lines to book the a la carte restuarants as the food at the buffet is plentiful and full of variety. We are going to try the Italian for lunch today and I'll report back on that. Might try parasailing today........ Wish me luck.