We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking / tide / walk

K U
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
78 posts
10 reviews
1 helpful vote
Parking / tide / walk

Good day, thank you for your help in advance. On Sunday, I was hoping to walk the 13 miles around Mersea Island. I see high tide is at 11:07 that day. I was wondering if 1230 would be a good time to start? Do you advise to not park on the island during high tide? And also curious if you recommend a parking area/lot that you prefer (maybe more quiet). Thank you! Kind regards, KU

4 replies to this topic
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
18,725 posts
7 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Parking / tide / walk

It isn't parking that is a potential tidal problem on Mersea Island (provided, of course, that you don't park anywhere with signs warning of tidal flooding) but access. The only road on to and off of the island is flooded at some high tides.

K U
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
78 posts
10 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Parking / tide / walk

@becasse, Hi, that's a good point. Thank you. So, I could go and park either a few hours before or after high tide, and then I should be fine (as long as out before second high tide). Thanks for pointing that out. =)

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
6,310 posts
16 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: Parking / tide / walk

The high tide at West Mercea this Sunday is forecast at 4.38m (above chart datum) and the Strood road floods at about 5 m, but there are parts of the path that drop below Mean High Water, so yes arriving around midday you should be fine. Parking in West Mersea or at the country park to the north-east will be fine.

K U
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
78 posts
10 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Parking / tide / walk

@sjr00, thank you for clarifying. I appreciate the information. Have a great afternoon!

Reply to: Parking / tide / walk
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mersea Island
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.