We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mersea island

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
34 reviews
6 helpful votes
Mersea island

I read somewhere that it's a good place to go for overnight. We would be going from London in our open top car so any suggestions on whether it's worth going and place to stay etc would be great thanks

8 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
111,206 posts
17 reviews
20 helpful votes
1. Re: Mersea island

I used to go there as a child, 60-odd years ago. It is pleasant enough if you like Thames Estuary mud.

London, United...
Level Contributor
475 posts
16 reviews
54 helpful votes
2. Re: Mersea island

Mersey Island is quite an interesting place for a day trip-there are a couple of well known fish/seafood restaurants ( particularly 'The Shed'- never been in there though.....I know people who have and they like it...) Once a year they have a bit of a festival where local youths slide along a greasy pole to try to win a piece of meat- most end up in the estuary. This happens on one of the Bank Holidays,but I can't remember which one-sorry!

There are always boats, wind surfers and other stuff like that to watch. The beach is a bit stony, but OK for digging and is dog paradise.Overnight? Not really, but possible,I suppose.Colchester and Tiptree are nearby.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,871 posts
408 reviews
303 helpful votes
3. Re: Mersea island

It's Ok. A bit bungaloid. East Mersea much remoter than West (it's West that has the eateries and a few shops). Plenty of maritime activity. If you get a bit fed up, Colchester is a short drive.

Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
12,386 posts
153 reviews
75 helpful votes
4. Re: Mersea island

Mersea island doesn't have Thames Estuary mud,it has River Colne/Blackwater mud.

Better quality!!!

No a lot to do here except a few pubs and restaurants

Edited: 9 years ago
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,178 posts
18 reviews
26 helpful votes
5. Re: Mersea island

Beware of high and low tide times, there is only one road to access Mersea Island and this gets flooded over with deep salt water, Mersea Island is then cut-off until the tide recedes, normally cars queue and wait patiently either side for the tide to go down, some attempt to drive through get stuck and have to be rescued, the car is wrecked too.

http://www.tidetimes.org.uk/west-mersea-tide-times-20140823#axzz3BEIOqQVx

Colchester
Level Contributor
141 posts
84 reviews
85 helpful votes
6. Re: Mersea island

There is a lot to do here!!

Take a walk through Cudmore Grove and take in the sea air and wildlife/birds.

Visit the Oyster bar for the finest oysters around.

Take a boat trip on the Lady Grace from the harbour and you may see seals and other birdlife.

Walk the clean beaches and watch the windsurfers.

Visit the vineyard and get sloshed!

Hire a beach hut for the day and watch the world go by.

The list is endless!

7. Re: Mersea island

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

What are forum guidelines?

King's Lynn, United...
Level Contributor
4,008 posts
227 reviews
164 helpful votes
8. Re: Mersea island

It's a well-known sailing centre with a small fishing industry.

Internationally famous Oyster beds.

The Coast Road is an interesting walk.

An outstanding place to eat in East Mersea:-

http://www.mehalahs.co.uk/

Not much accommodation available because the majority of overnight visitors usually arrive afloat with their own beds.

The Strood floods only when the lunar monthly tide reaches 5m.

Used to have "useful" cricket teams and good tea when I played there.

The positive contributors above outnumber the odd factually inaccurate posts.

Places to stay?

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1526432-d1523325-Reviews-Victory_at_Mersea-Mersea_Island_Essex_England.html

Edited: 9 years ago
Reply to: Mersea island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mersea Island
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.