We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling around yorkshire with elderly father

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling around yorkshire with elderly father

Hi, I would welcome advice please. We are travelling in June with my 90yr old father to Yorkshire dales for 3 nights on way north, & then North York moors 2 nights & York 2 nights on way back. This is to celebrate his birthday, his walking is limited & he needs to use a wheelchair for any distance. We are looking for advice on scenic drives & places that are reasonably accessible. I know everywhere is beautiful but what would you recommend as unmissable? Thankyou

Mentioned in this post
Yorkshire
Yorkshire
England, UK
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
9 replies to this topic
Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,780 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling around yorkshire with elderly father

I'm sure we can help but at the moment I don't quite know where to start!

I think it might help if you could let me know what interests you and your dad - and maybe also what doesn't interest you.

I assume you have accommodation booked, so where will you be staying? The Dales and Moors cover a large area so it would help to know where you'll be.

To kick off some research I would definitely suggest a few hours at Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Water Gardens, a World Heritage site. A lot has been done to make this beautiful place accessible as much as possible - the link below gives more details.

https:/…Facilities and access

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling around yorkshire with elderly father

Purely based on dad's age. I wonder if this might be of interest?

http://www.edencamp.co.uk/

And this delightful place is nearby

http://www.beckislemuseum.org.uk/

If you are interested, then please say where you are staying in North Yorks moors and I'll think of nice drives for you.

Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
9,789 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling around yorkshire with elderly father

If you are in Malton (Eden Camp ✅) you are close to https://www.nymr.co.uk/ Which as well as being fun actually gets into parts of the Moors where there is no Road

Plus This site might give him more ideas https:/…north-york-moors-the-scenic-route

Mentioned in this post
Malton
Malton
North Yorkshire, UK
Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,780 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling around yorkshire with elderly father

I also wondered about the Yorkshire Air Museum at Elvington - but this is near York rather than the actual Dales or Moors, so again it depends on your locations.

http://yorkshireairmuseum.org/

Mentioned in this post
Yorkshire Air Museum
Yorkshire Air Museum
1,377 Reviews
York, UK
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling around yorkshire with elderly father

Thank you all, we are at Sedburg in the dales (3nights), Then going up to Newcastle & Beamish museum. Then back to quite near Rosedale abbey on the moors for 2 nights & central York for 2 nights. We had thought of going on NYRT, possibly going all way to Whitby. He enjoys watching the world go by & very short slow walks, (hence the scenic drives) also national trust style properties, Not too sure on Eden camp for various reasons, might be one for me to come back to. He seems to quite fancy the Jorvik museum too. Also stopping off at Buxton for night on way back home, any idea on the prettiest route there from York. Many thanks for all your help, its much appreciated as we have only ever gone to east coast, shame on us.

Mentioned in this post
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
Beamish Museum
Beamish Museum
6,357 Reviews
Beamish, UK
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Whitby
Whitby
Scarborough District, UK
Jorvik House
Jorvik House
343 Reviews
York, UK
Buxton
Buxton
Derbyshire, UK
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling around yorkshire with elderly father

Hi Morgana, thank you for your help. We are staying at Sedbergh for 3 nights, then going up to Beamish & Newcastle. From Beamish we then have 2 nights near Ryedale, 2 nights in central York,& 1 night in Buxton on way home. I am especially interested in scenic routes between these destinations, & drives near Sedburgh.

Mentioned in this post
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Buxton
Buxton
Derbyshire, UK
Chester,England
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling around yorkshire with elderly father

My favourite road to drive is the A683 from Sedburgh to Kirkby Stephen, then over the wild and lonely moors to Hawes (visit the Wensleydale Creamery for cheese tasting.They also have a very nice restaurant,) then complete the trip back to Sedburgh.

Edited: 27 May 2018, 23:04
Mentioned in this post
Hawes
Hawes
Yorkshire Dales National Park, UK
Wensleydale Creamery
Wensleydale Creamery
1,853 Reviews
Hawes, UK
Chester,England
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling around yorkshire with elderly father

You must have some fish n chips whilst you are up here, preferably eaten from the paper, outdoors, with your fingers!

Can't beat it!!

Edited: 27 May 2018, 23:09
Chester,England
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling around yorkshire with elderly father

I should clarify my #7, when you drive from Kirkby Stephen towards Hawes, tate the left turn in Nateby, this road takes you over the house gh, remote moorland road to Hawes through Keld.You won't see much other traffic apart from an occasional shepherd.

Mentioned in this post
Hawes
Hawes
Yorkshire Dales National Park, UK
Keld
Keld
North Yorkshire, UK
Reply to: Travelling around yorkshire with elderly father
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yorkshire