We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving tour - Looking for Opinions

Riverview, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
283 reviews
Save Topic
Driving tour - Looking for Opinions

Hello all,

We will be driving through the area on our way to Ashford from Scotland and would appreciate input as to the best route to take (we do enjoy the scenic route), any must sees & dos.

I am trying to stay off the Motorways as much as possible.

We are Canadian in our late 40's and have never been to your country .... so any input would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks in advance.

BOBH - Day Trips from York
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Hull Land Train
Sightseeing Tours, Rail Tours
How Stean Gorge
Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Canyoning & Rappelling Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Yorkshire Trike Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,926 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving tour - Looking for Opinions

Bump.

Riverview, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving tour - Looking for Opinions

Bump ???

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving tour - Looking for Opinions

Bump is a means of bringing your post back up to the top so that it is more likely to seen and replied to.

The obvious question - what sort of things interest you? Yorkshire can do stately homes, bleak landscapes, industrial history...all sorts really.

Although you want to avoid motorways, using the A1 as the spine on the east of England might work . Not Yorkshire but consider Stamford which is a stone built town with Burghley House next door - about 100 miles north of London.

Oh, and which Ashford? Ashford Kent or Ashford Middlesex?

Riverview, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving tour - Looking for Opinions

Thanks for the info davidblades,

I am fairly new to using these forms, did not realize what bump was.

We are hiring a car in Scotland and making our way to Ashford Kent (will be taking the Eurostar to Paris from there) I have already mapped the 1st part of our journey, will be spending 1 night in Newcastle.

We will be going through Durham, and then on to York.

I will be on and off the A1 .... planning on touring the countryside, and history/historic sites, we prefer charming market towns and staying in B&Bs. We have allowed 3 nights (the 3rd one being in Ashford as train is leaving early the next morning) to complete this part of the trip.

We are not planning on going into London this time.

Open to all suggestions as to what to see and where to spend those 2 nights.

Thanks !

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving tour - Looking for Opinions

How about Eden Camp near Malton. We went last year we spent a morning and lunch time there and found it fascinating and very informative.

www.edencamp.co.uk

Also very close by is Castle Howard, which is such a beautiful house that it has to be worth a visit if you are already in the area.

www.castlehoward.co.uk

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving tour - Looking for Opinions

Eden Camp?

Borrrring, badly executed and dull!

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,661 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving tour - Looking for Opinions

I often recommend Eden Camp to visitors as a rainy day option and I've had nothing but positive feedback about their visits. I worked in a school nearby and we used to regularly take school children round - they got a lot out of it.

The prisoner of war section especially is very moving.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving tour - Looking for Opinions

If yo're travelling down the A1 and prefer charming market towns you should consider Newark-on-Trent.

Lots of character and history, the finest Georgian market square in Europe, and a key royalist stronghold in the English Civil War.

check out http://www.visit-newark.co.uk/

Edited: 18 May 2012, 15:18
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving tour - Looking for Opinions

Well all I can say is get out more?

I took a group of learning disabled adults, scouts, and visitors from the Netherlands, a more disperate than you could want for, and all feedback was similar...the best being Quaint!

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving tour - Looking for Opinions

And if you do choose to visit/stay in Newark then just a short drive away is the City of Lincoln. Boasting one of the finest Medieval cathedrals in England, medieval streets and loads of history.

visitlincolnshire.com/discover/city-breaks