We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harrogate and Yorkshire Dales 4 days

Wales
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Harrogate and Yorkshire Dales 4 days

Hi

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how best to spend our long weekend break.

My husband, our 17 month baby and I are staying in an apartment in Harrogate in July. We have a car and ideally want to travel and experience the Yorkshire Dales. We would also like to spend time in Harrogate itself.

Can you recommend the driving routes around the Dales and the best villages and areas to see. Also, some recommendations of eating places would be great. Budget is no exception but would need to be child friendly.

Thank you

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harrogate and Yorkshire Dales 4 days

This driving route (you could pick it up from Skipton) always gets great feedback when I recommend it, but I guess it depends how your baby is in the car as it's quite a way.

skiptonweb.co.uk/tourist/…index.htm

Another nice trip is to drive from Harrogate via Ripley (castle and great ice cream shop) to Pateley Bridge. It's a pretty drive through Nidderdale, and Pateley itself is a nice place to wander around for a couple of hours. It also has a good children's play area down by the river.

http://www.pateley-bridge.com/

Harrogate also has a lovely park called Valley Gardens, also with a nice children's play area.

harrogate.gov.uk/Pages/harrogate-3359.aspx

Betty's Tearooms (they do anything from a cup of tea and cake to full meals) have high chairs and I often see children eating in them. They are a Yorkshire institution! There are two branches in Harrogate, one right in the middle along Parliament Street, and one just outside at Harlow Carr Gardens. You can go to the Harlow Carr one without having to pay to visit the gardens, although they are well worth a visit too.

http://www.bettys.co.uk/bettys_harrogate.aspx

Wales
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Harrogate and Yorkshire Dales 4 days

Thank you so much for your recommendations, they sound ideal.

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Harrogate and Yorkshire Dales 4 days

Try and spend some time at Fountains Abbey if you can. Its in Ripon - not too far from Harrogate. Its breathtaking and a great place to stroll around with a little one. Ripon itself is lovely and also has some great places to eat.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Harrogate and Yorkshire Dales 4 days

Fountains Abbey is a great suggestion. Good visitor centre, cafe, clean toilets etc if you are visiting with a young child. It's actually just over 3 miles outside Ripon, in a beautiful wooded valley, close to but not in the Dales.

Wales
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Harrogate and Yorkshire Dales 4 days

Thanks guys, you have been really helpful. Some great ideas there that we will be fitting into our trip.

6. Re: Harrogate and Yorkshire Dales 4 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2013, 06:15