We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go - can anyone help??

UK
Level Contributor
77 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go - can anyone help??

Looking to book a group holiday for 2015 and as we have family all over the UK, Yorkshire seemed like a good half way point for us all. However, none of us have ever been before and we have no idea where to start looking so thought I would turn to fellow trip advisers for some advice!! We will need to entertain 2 toddlers and 3 teenagers so an area with lots of activities come rain or shine would be great. If anyone has any area suggestions to narrow down our search, it would be much appreciated.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go - can anyone help??

An organisation called 'VisitYorkshire' is spending millions bringing the Tour de France to the county this July. This is to promote the county and publicise its attractions. You could do worse than look at its website to learn where you might want to visit.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go - can anyone help??

'Yorkshire' covers a huge swathe of Northern England. I'm not sure I can advise you in any meaningful way unless I have more info.

You are looking for a holiday - what time of year? Town or country? Yorkshire has some lively, vibrant cities but also some wonderful countryside with National Parks such as the North Yorkshire Dales and the North Yorks Moors?

Hotel? Renting a holiday home? What are your interests? Teenagers can vary widely over what they like doing.

My suggestion without knowing any of the above - Whitby!

http://www.visitwhitby.com/

Edited: 29 May 2014, 18:04
Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,188 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go - can anyone help??

And how will you and your be travelling? By car, by train, by air?

The one thing that is for certain, that there is something for everyone in Yorkshire.

UK
Level Contributor
77 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go - can anyone help??

My message probably was a bit vague!! Travelling by car and will probably opt for a caravan park with pool as all the kids, young and old, like swimming. Would prefer to be by the sea in case we're lucky enough to have nice weather. The little ones love their animals so any zoos or animal parks within an hours drive would be a bonus but not essential. As for the teenagers, just getting them out of bed can be challenge, let alone anything else!!! We all enjoy walking, whether its coast or moors.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go - can anyone help??

Ok, that helps!

I still think the North Yorkshire coast (Whitby or Scarborough area) although I can't advise on individual caravan parks.

But this area has everything you could want - steam railways, museums, Flamingo Land, a Sealife Centre, walks on the moors or along the coast. The teenagers might like Whitby for the Dracula connections!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go - can anyone help??

also Goathland has TV and harry potter connections, There are lots of great places along that coast to search for fossils, which my kids love, also a little further south, at Bempton the landscape is impressive and the puffins and gannets are very impressive

UK
Level Contributor
77 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go - can anyone help??

That's great, thank you to everyone for your help. It's certainly a good starting point!!

Barnsley, United...
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go - can anyone help??

For caravan park can't go wrong with Primrose Valley or Reighton Sands. Off to Reighton in two weeks for our second visit this year.

9. Re: Where to go - can anyone help??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 05:16