We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days for Morelia and surrounding area?

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How many days for Morelia and surrounding area?

My husband are going to Zihuatanejo the end of Jan. 2008. for a week. I would also like to see some of coloniel Mexico on this trip. So i am now thinking of flying into Morelia (from Seattle). Or should we get a ground transfer from Zihautanejo?

Our travel time is a little limited for this trip because of other travel commitments next year. Would 3 days be enough to make the trip to Morelia worthwhile? Also if we drive is there much to see on route. Or does anyone have any other other suggustions for a historic destination? I really enjoy smaller quaint cities.

Thanks so much in advance.

Sally

Guadalupe Sanctuary
Sacred & Religious Sites
Centro Historico de Morelia
Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas, Neighbourhoods
The Aqueduct
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days for Morelia and surrounding area?

Your time is limited so you could maybe fly into Morelia and fly back from Zihua if possible. There is a bus service between the cities leaving at 9.30 am Morelia (information courtesy of Peddler665 who has just been to Morelia!). An alternative would be to spend 2 nights at Morelia and 1 at Patzcuaro where a boat trip to the island of Janizio is a must. You could then get the same bus to Zihua (leaving at 10.30 am from Patzcuaro). The journey will take a few hours so you will lose the best part of day travelling.

Naturally you won't be able to see "all" of Morelia in this time - it is a beautiful colonial city where it is wonderful to just wander the streets and discover good places to eat. But you will be able to get a flavor.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days for Morelia and surrounding area?

I spend time in Michoacan every year & have barely scratched the surface, Three days would be minmum IMO. I spent a full week in Morelia at Semana Santa this year & enjoyed it very much. If I was doing 3 days & it was my first time I would spend 1 night in Morelia, two in Patzcuaro & schedule a few hours in Uruapan & it's marvelous National Park filled with water sculptures, waterfalls, rapids, Fauna & Flora. As there are a number of buses this is very doable BUT even better a cab will only run you about 300 pesos with a stop at Tingambato & it's archaeological site including a small pyramid going from Patz to Uruapan. Also I went to Patz from Morelia to make a large purchase & got a cab back for 200 pesos. Yes you could fly into Morelia & out of Zihua but not sure of the cost.feel free to E-mail me.

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days for Morelia and surrounding area?

Thanks so much for the reply. We can fly into or out of almost anywhere. We can do an open jaw. And we could extend for another day. Our main interest is charming historical towns, that also offer some local culture. I am on my way to go buy a guide book on Mexico, in order for me to have a better feel for the area.

Also as far as hotels i looked at Villa Montana, but is it better to be downtown? My husband will want someting quite nice, but with charm

Thanks again for the prompt reply.

Sallt

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days for Morelia and surrounding area?

goto www.baden-powell.com & check out the fabulous apartments at incredibly low price in the heart of the Historic district. Great place to really get the feel of the city. I stayed there Semana Santa week enjoying it immensely

Chicago
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days for Morelia and surrounding area?

Just back from our first trip to Mexico in the summer: 3 nights in DF, 3 in Morelia, and 2 in Guanajuato. The Morelia part of the trip was supposed to feature "luxury"--we chose Villa Montana expecting a great experience. This was our first trip to Morelia, and we enjoyed it very much, but not as much the Villa Montana. We did feel isolated, and the hotel itself was not as nice as expected--more rustic, rooms somewhat outdated, poor water pressure in the shower, etc. However, taxis are cheap and plentiful in Morelia (most trips 30 pesos), so maybe you might choose Villa Montana for the views, which are very nice.

6. Re: How many days for Morelia and surrounding area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 09:18
Get answers to your questions about Morelia
Recent Conversations