We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is Puebla different from Guadalajara?

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
How is Puebla different from Guadalajara?

I'll soon be moving to D.F. and am already planning side trips. Just from my reading I became attracted to both of these cities. I enjoy high density city neighborhoods that have a comfortable feel and lend themselves to those who enjoy walking. Can someone describe the general character of these two beauties?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is Puebla different from Guadalajara?

Hey fellow Omahan:

I think you'd find Puebla more inviting. More of a walkable downtown. Why not couple a visit to Puebla with a trip to Oaxaca? Only another 4-5 hours from Puebla, and better than Guadalajara hands down. IMO.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How is Puebla different from Guadalajara?

Puebla is lots closer. Guadalajara is a very interesting city worth visiting when you have time, FLY! You have a wealth of possibilities depending on your length of time in Mexico, the Puebla to Oaxaca route is great, going north you have Queretaro and the beautiful colonial cities Guanajuato, San Luis Potosi & Zacatecas, best explored in the springtime as it gets chilly. Each city has its own character, these state capitols are University towns with lots of street life, arts and fashion.

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is Puebla different from Guadalajara?

Thanks for replying y'all. Puebla is so close to D.F. that I guess it deserves a personal visit if only because of its short travel time and famous Chile Poblano. Prior to asking here I asked this same question on the Guadalajara forum to kind of compare impressions. Panch04 says FLY. What are the reasons why it's preferable to other modes of transpo?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How is Puebla different from Guadalajara?

Puebla is so close to DF you can go for a meal. Oh...besides the chiles there are other dishes. Great mole..but not as good as Oaxaca. Sweet potato candy. Puebla is easier to stroll around. More compact and not as business like. Why fly to Guadalajara? Distance and there are some cheap flights out there if the airline doesn't go broke or crash. BUT.. after a soon ending lifetime of travel the idea of points A+B is not one I like. Look at a map. Between DF and Guadalajara there is the Bajio. Some of the most interesting colonial cities in Mexico. Architecture to opals. Goat milk candy to mummies. You could take two weeks to get there and be rushed. Photos from the windows of a bus are poor memories. My suggestion is to settle in DF first. Everyone is from somewhere else. Make your local friends. Bet you find someone with family in Guadalajara or Puebla or anywhere else of interest. Family is still highly important in Mexico. Roam some markets. Gotta see Mercado Hidalgo in the center. Huge city but neighborhoods are small. Meet the local gossips. Go to mass. Doesn't matter your religion. See how people live day to day and understand their relation with God. BTW... that was one of the first things they taught us in training on a certain Caribbean isle. You won't learn everything about Mexico City but that is OK. Just get comfortable. Then trips to anywhere else in the country become much easier. My first trip to DF in the early 70s was a whirlwind to boost a car. But it was a good learning experience for later. Read both Oscar Lewis and Octavio Paz. Oh...and Bernal del Castillo.

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is Puebla different from Guadalajara?

Wow! Boosting cars. No hurries no worries eh? Even though I'll be based in México City and plan to allow myself to linger for years there I have benefited in the past from developing a backup plan; in this case owing to the apartment rental market in Puebla being priced lower than the big city. Anyway we'll see, and I'll bear your words of advice in mind.

Donkey Shane

Chapala, Mexico
Level Contributor
9 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How is Puebla different from Guadalajara?

I live in a suburb of Guad and am currently visiting Puebla. Puebla has 1.2 million people and Guad has 8 million, so the scale is quite different. Puebla is more walkable, less grimy but doesn't have the fantastic murals of Orozco or the variety of entertainment in the teatros. The food in Puebla is more unique to its location than Guad. But the music of the mariachis in Guad is more unique than what we have seen in Puebla. We found flights on Volaris between Guad and Puebla, direct, for $50 USD one way on one of their frequent sales. Not sure what is available from DF.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
55 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How is Puebla different from Guadalajara?

they are two very different but great cities, Puebla seems smaller and more intimate, and maybe a little cleaner in the historic district, very walkable

Guadalajara is great too, I was very pleasantly surprised how enjoyable it was, the centro is larger and noisier, and more modern but it had the feel of a real city where the natives were enjoying themselves...

If I had to choose one it would be Puebla Hotel Colonial is a great place in Puebla just minutes from the plaza

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
691 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How is Puebla different from Guadalajara?

Hi,

Puebla has by far a much more beautiful and preserved Downtown than Guadalajara and has been declared world heritage by UNESCO,both cities have been investing a lot of money in the restoration. Guadalajara invested a lot in its infrastructure due to Panamerican games 2 years ago and has a better night life than Puebla.

Puebla is close to Cholula with its Archaeological site and its small Downtown and if you are lucky you will have a great view of the volcanoes.

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How is Puebla different from Guadalajara?

Thanks mex,

I guess I'll have to visit them both. I'm more of an early riser daytime person so Puebla not having as good of a night life will not count against it. The gringo grapevine is throbbing with stories of how wonderful Oaxaca is, and I had breakfast this morning with a couple from California who fell in love with Oaxaca. I could be completely wrong but Puebla gets my "blindfolded" vote.

10. Re: How is Puebla different from Guadalajara?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Puebla