We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice re bus travel to/from Mexico City/Puebla at night?

Cleveland, OH
2 posts
Save Topic
Advice re bus travel to/from Mexico City/Puebla at night?

We are planning a trip to Mexico in early December and would like to spend 2 full weekend days in Puebla. We would be taking the first class bus (Rojo line?) and would want to avoid getting stuck in traffic in MC......yet want to maximize our stay in Puebla. We heard that traffic starts up in MC around 6:00PM and does not let up until around 9:00PM......so traveling in the early evening makes sense if it is safe. The earliest we can leave MC is 9:30PM (and it might be later) on a Friday night. The return to MC(leave Puebla) would be on Sunday. On Sunday we would like to have dinner in Puebla and then catch the bus back and just check into the hotel in MC to sleep..... the return time is somewhat open since we are only checking into an airport hotel in MC because we have an early flight on Monday AM. Any issues/concerns about traveling by bus, arrival/departure times, etc? Note: I will be 6.5 mo's pregnant during this trip.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice re bus travel to/from Mexico City/Puebla at night?

Friday night traffic is heavy until probably 10 O'clock on the way out of Mexico City to Puebla; expect bumper-to-bumper for maybe 30-40 minutes. If you're lucky, things will move quicker.

I think traveling by bus at the times you're suggesting are safe, and I wouldn't worry about it. I traveled that route a couple of weeks ago on a Friday night, at about 8:45 p.m.

As for departure times, my only comment regards the airport: get there 2.5 to 3 hours in advance of your flight.

Enjoy the trip!

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice re bus travel to/from Mexico City/Puebla at night?

Gomexico.

I am looking at doing a similar trip in Feb 07. Is the traffic as heavy on the Sunday as you state on the Friday? In otherwords, should I avoid bus travel to/from the area on Friday/Sunday?

3. Re: Advice re bus travel to/from Mexico City/Puebla at night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 13:15