We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good hotel in Puerto Vallarta

Which Barra de Navidad hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
252 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Good hotel in Puerto Vallarta

Hello,

We will be flying into PV on Jan 10 and need to sleep over one night before heading to the Costa Alegre by bus the next day.

Can you recommend a good, clean hotel that is easy to get to, and preferably child-friendly.

Our budget is up to $140.

Thanks!

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good hotel in Puerto Vallarta

Not many hotels in Mexico are not child friendly. There are several in PV in the hotel zone of course but you may want to stay in El Centro - known as Old Town to foreigners - for it's close proximity to the bus stop at Carranza and Aguacate streets where you can catch a south bound bus instead of needing to head north of the airport to El Central de Camiones (the main bus station). The area known as the romantic zone is the closest to the bus stop and lots of people like a hotel called Posada Roger there - it is really close to the bus stop. I have directions for all of this stuff on my web page here http://www.seatosierra.com/where/tra_b1.html and if you click on the link to the map for the romantic zone in my page you will see that and other hotel options.

Canada
Level Contributor
252 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good hotel in Puerto Vallarta

Thank you, that is very helpful.

First I thought we'd stay near the airport, but hotel prices are crazy, especially as we'd be getting in late afternoon and leaving the next morning.

I read on another thread that there is a bus that leaves PV for Manzanillo at 7:45am, and also at 12pm, but not to take the 12pm one - I can't remember why...Do you know?

How long is the journey by 1st class bus?

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good hotel in Puerto Vallarta

It might have been on my bus schedule page that you saw that...

"Flecha Amarilla Counter - Primera Plus (First Class Service)

7:45 am - Express, no stop in Tomatlán.

12:15 pm - south to Melaque and Barra, then on to La Huerta and Autlán, NOT Express, this bus stops in Tomatlán."

Figure an extra hour or 45 minutes for the stop in Tomatlan. Tomatlan is right on highway 200 so it is a bit of a journey in and out.

New Mexico
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Good hotel in Puerto Vallarta

I also will be staying over in PV the night prior to busing to Barra de Navidad/Melaque. Because the bus leaves so early in the morning, I thought I'd get a hotel close to the main bus station, perhaps even walking distance. ??

Do you know of several hotels that would be this close?

Thanks, Karen

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good hotel in Puerto Vallarta

Look here http://vallartainfo.com/ "The Insider's Guide to Vallarta" for some information on hotels and also other general things. It is written and maintained by a very knowledgeable long term resident of PV. From my page with the bus schedules there is also now a link to that site and a better map located on that site. The new map actually shows the bus stop/station.

Nuevo Vallarta...
Level Contributor
783 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good hotel in Puerto Vallarta

There is a relatively new hotel really close to the airport called the Coast Inn.. it has the Coast Inn logo so perhaps it´s part of the common chain. I´ve never been in there but the hotel but it looks decent and would do the trick. It states that it has rates starting from 895 pesos a night last time I drove by which is about 70usd. I´m sure it will be a bit more in January but I couldn´t imagine it being over your 140usd range.

This hotel fitted right off the main drag hugging the golf course there. There is even outdoor pool, gazebo, etc.

I can´t seem to find them on the internet. (i´m not sure if its coast in or coastal inn) but next time I drive by there I will stop and get contact info.

any other locals know of the place I am talking about and might have contact info?

New Mexico
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Good hotel in Puerto Vallarta

Bus Stops:

Am I to understand then that there are two bus stations in PV where I can catch an express bus to Barra?

If so, is it the bus station on the south side of town, the romatic area, where I can get the Flecha Amarilla 7:45 am to Barra?

I'm a little confused by which bus stations offer which service. Thanks for your help. This is a great forum.

Canada
Level Contributor
252 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good hotel in Puerto Vallarta

Instead of a hotel in PV, do you recommend staying in Misamaloya?

Like at the Casa Iguana or similar - any tips?

We don't mind taking a taxi to a hotel south of PV, but does the express bus to Barra/Melaque/Manzanillo stop there?

(We are headed to La Manzanilla in fact)

Thanks again!

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good hotel in Puerto Vallarta

There is the main bus station north of the airport that is called the Central Camionera. The first map link on my page shows the location of the airport and the main bus station. The times I post on my page show the departure times for the south bound bus from there - from the main bus station.

After leaving the main bus station the bus travels south through urban Puerto Vallarta and again stops at a bus stop on the corner of Aguacate and Carranza streets in Vallarta's South Side also known as the romantic zone of old town. The second map link on my page shows the locastion of this.

Based on information I got from the bus lines for someone else with the same question not long ago the bus does not stop again until it leaves Puerto Vallarta, so if you stay down in Mismaloya you will need to travel by cab back up north to the bus stop at Aguacate and Carranza Streets or further north to the main bus station. If you want to catch that early first class south you'll probably want to stay up closer to the airport so as to be close to the main bus station or somewhere in Vallarta's South Side so as to be close to that stop at Aguacate and Carranza.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good hotel in Puerto Vallarta

Oh for got the La Manz bit. None of the buses stop in La Manzanilla. The second class buses will let you off on the highway at the entrance to La Manzanilla and it is about 2 km in to the main drag of La Manz from there but depending on where you are staying it might be a bit or a lot further than that. There are taxis in La Manzanilla but they are in the town not out on the highway. First Class buses are not supposed to stop anywhere but designated stops and the La Manzanilla intersection with highway 200 is not one of those. The driver might stop if you ask him though... I've been on first class buses that stopped all over the place.

Either way I'd take the bus into Melaque and get a cab ($200 pesos) back to La Manz since it's a long walk from the highway to anywhere.

Get answers to your questions about Barra de Navidad
More Barra de Navidad Topics