We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Pennsylvania to Alaska

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
14 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Pennsylvania to Alaska

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I will be driving to Alaska this summer for a two month vacation. Below is the (town to town) stays while in Canada. I would appreciate any input if anyone sees any major down sides to what we have planned or any suggestions that can improve on what we have planned as far as our town to town to town stays are. Thanks for your input in advance

Day 7 SU Moose Jaw, Sak.

Day 8 M Medicine Hat, AB

Day 9-10 T/W Red Deer, AB

Day 11 TH Witecourt, AB Day 12 F Dawson Creek, BC

Day 13 S Sikanni/Pink Mountain, BC

Day 14 SU Muncho Lake BC-

Day 15-16 M-T Watson Lake, YT

Day 17 W Johnsons Crossing, Yt

Day 18 TH Destruction Bay, YT

Day 19 F Northway, AK

Day 20 S Salcha,AK

Day 21-23 SU-M-T Healy, AK-

Day 24-25 W-TH Talkeetna, AK

Day 26 F Gakona, AK

Day 27 S Beaver Creek, YT

Day 28 SU Haines Junction, YT-

Day 29 M Carmacks, YT-

Day 30 T Ross River, YT-

Day 31 W Watson Lake, YT-

Day 33-34 F-S Hyder/, AK

Day 35 SU Smithers, BC

Day 36 M Prince George, BC

Day 37-38 T-W Jasper, AB

Day 39 TH Canmore, AB

Day 40-43 F-S-SU-M Crowsnest Pass, AB

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
14 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Pennsylvania to Alaska

I failed to mention that we will be driving a 05 Sienna Mini Van and staying in motel while in the above towns. I was a little concerned about taking the van from Carmacks to Watson Lake (Campbell Highway) but on some of the posts I've been somewhat reassured it's ok if we take our time which we intend to do.

Kimberley, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Pennsylvania to Alaska

You asked for it;

1. The Canadian Prairies are pretty much the same to look at, right from Winnipeg to Calgary - flat flat flat. In view of this you may want to consider getting onto HWY 16 - the "Yellowhead" and heading north through Saskatoon (the prettiest City on the Priarie in my mind) to Edmonton to Whitecourt to Dawson Creek = this will save you some miles of looking at the same flat headed bald prairie :-). I grew up in DCBC - you must visit the "Reclaimed Grain Elevaotr" that has been converted into an Art Gallery/Museum = don't miss the back stairway history display of the American infulence (my Great Aunt married an Army Engineer working on the highway) on this area of the building of the Alaska Highway - one of the seven modern engineering marvels of modern times + get your picture taken sitting on the "Mile Zero Post of the Alaska Highway". Also - Walter Wright Pioneer Village, just outside of town worth a look(?)..

Enroute to Alaska you must dip your toes in Liard Hot Springs at Mile 495 of Alaska Highway - stay nearby = www.liardhotspringslodge.com (?)

2. ON the way back - make sure you check out = www.columbiaicefield.com in Jasper National Park = "half-way" between Jasper and Lake Louise. If you are looking to get off the beaten path you could consider coming south after Lake Louise (misses Banff though) to this area = PLEASE CHECK OUT THIS SITE - www.kootenayrockies.com.

If you came south, at the "Castle Mountain Junction" you could enjoy Radium Hot Springs; Fairmont Hot Springs; or more "au natural" Lussier Hot Springs (see many links about towns/activites/sites/ etc at website address). This route would see you come south to Cranbrook, B.C. and could then head back to USA via Whitefish/Kalispell, Montana (pretty area, nice folks) - or head east and get more of the Canadian Prairies enroute Medicine Hat through the Crowsnest Pass.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
14 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Pennsylvania to Alaska

Thanks Eastpounce,

We do indeed have the "reclaimed grain elevator" on our list of things to do while in DC as well as seeing the Wright Pioneer Village. We will be looking into the Yellowhead route as another option. Thanks for your input.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,028 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Pennsylvania to Alaska

I second Eastpouce's suggestion of using the Hwy 16 (Yellowhead Highway) instead of the Hwy 1 (Trans-Canada) if at all possible, and for the same reasons. Fort Edmonton Park in Edmonton is worth a stop; it's one of Canda's top living history villages.

5. Re: Driving from Pennsylvania to Alaska

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 18:16