We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing the border with a rental car - not US resident

Santiago
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing the border with a rental car - not US resident

I’m a Chilean citizen and I’m planning cross the Canadian border from the US (Boston to Montreal) in a rental car. I already reviewed others forums and I know the precautions to be taken regarding the car rental company. I have both US and Canadian tourist Visa and I will back to the US in the same car. I also have an international driving license (issued in Chile) but I do not have an Enhanced Driver License.

Could be any trouble for a non US or Canadian resident to cross the border in a rental car?

Thank You

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,101 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing the border with a rental car - not US resident

Hi Lawyer2000;

Rental cars cross the border hundreds of times each day. You should not experience any problems. Be sure that the car rental company notes on the rental agreement that they authorize you to take the car into Canada. You may be asked by Customs when entering Canada, or when re-entering the US, for this documentation.

Best Regards

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing the border with a rental car - not US resident

Hi Lawyer2000,

Welcome to the CANADA TRAVEL FORUM.

In regards to licensing you will be fine with International Driving License (an Enhanced Drivers License is a US Document that American Citizens can now use to cross the Border between the Canada & USA in lieu of a Passport).

As RESCUE TEAM has said you will be fine. Have a great trip to North America.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing the border with a rental car - not US resident

I am not 100% sure but I believe the only issue is Canadians taking US rental cars into Canada.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,101 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing the border with a rental car - not US resident

Hi wrldtvler;

You are correct about Canadians driving US rental cars into Canada. There is a Canada Customs restriction...something to do with importation laws.

If I understand correctly, the inverse restriction is also in place.

Best Regards

Edited: 19 April 2010, 22:16
5. Re: Crossing the border with a rental car - not US resident

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2010, 07:17