We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expedia Problems

Toronto, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Expedia Problems

My boyfriend and I booked a hotel in Niagara Falls at the Admiral Inn with Expedia. The pictures of the place on the internet looked fine. When we arrived the manager Fabresed the room before we went in (not a good sign)!! when we went into the room there was a pee stain on the blanket and so on (do I need to say more)... when I called EXPEDIA.CA and told them I was very unhappy with the room condition they told me there was nothing they could do because of there cancellation policy! Now, I am a reasonable person, if under different circumstances I could understand reinforcing the cancellation policy. However how am I to know what the hotel is like until I get there and I see all of the above!! They would not help me at all! the hotel manager was nice enough to ask to speak with the rep I was on the phone with and he was going to tell him that he was okay with a refund, however the so called CUSTOMER SERVICE rep hung up the phone!! Expedia is a huge company it's a $100 refund to keep a happy repeat customer but they lost many more because of this!!! I will write about this on every page that I find refering to Expedia.ca this company should be shut down!!!!!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expedia Problems

This is not really a problem with expedia. All they do is link you with the hotel YOU choose and allow you to pay on their site. They state that there is a district refund policy when you pay, so you really shouldn't be surprised. This is truly an issue with the hotel you stayed in and you should be angry at them. I would also post a review about this hotel on the review section of tripadvisor if you want to help future travelers out.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expedia Problems

Hi Sas-1985,

Welcome to the CANADA TRAVEL FORUM.

And as I see you are also new to TripAdvisor… a BIG Welcome Aboard as well !!

I feel your pain… but as you should be aware… you bought a vacation thru a Third-Party Service (in this case Expedia)… the reason they can offer you a deal in the first place is because you bought something “AS IS”… Many Travellers don’t really realize this when they use these types of services. It is a bargain… you agree to take it "AS IS" for the price offered. Period.

It is all there in the fine print… need to read that… before you sign… give up your Credit Card Number etc.

Most times these deals go off without a hitch… you are purchasing thru the Third Party because the Hotel (Airline – Car Rental Company etc) has a glut of Rooms (Seats – Cars, etc) that they want to move. They may not be their “best” (ie a room next to the Elevators, over the Loading Dock, etc) but at a significant discount (25% or MORE) most folks will put up with a bit of a inconvenience.

The hitch is… you pay for it in advance sight unseen… you don’t truly know what you are getting other than a room for a Significant Discount… if you have a complaint it is with the Third Party (not the Hotel – Airline – Car Rental Company) and cause you’ve already paid out 100% in Advance for something “AS IS” you usually don’t have much recourse (or chance of getting a refund, etc).

That is what it is…. an "AS IS" purchase.

As for Tripadvisor… it is a great website. A place where one can learn all about Travel the Perks & Pitfalls… including things like Third Party Booking Services. To get the most out of your Membership you need read up on things and post Questions BEFORE you make any financial commitments (this is where Tripadvisor excels... at Trip Planning).

If you had, looked here BEFORE your vacation... you would have known the issues with purchasing thru a Third Party Booking Service (there are countless stories like yours for companies such as Expedia – Hotwire – PriceLine etc). Too many Travellers who think it is a “Travel Agent” and don’t realize the consequences of using a Third Party DISCOUNT Booking Service… lots of folks who obviously don’t read the “fine print”.

As well you would have been able to discover that the Admiral Inn in Niagara Falls is not a highly ranked Hotel in that city (currently # 96 of 134 Hotels in NF). A 2-Star Property with only 2-1/2 HOOTS for TA Member Satisfaction… and a 65% THUMBS DOWN Recommendation (based on 92 Reviews todate… of which 46 gave it a Terrible, and 12 gave it a Poor Rating).

TA REVIEW – Admiral Inn in Niagara Falls, Ontario = tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g154998-d184285-…

Having looked at the TA HOTEL REVIEWS Section, and read other Travellers comments, you might not even have considered this Hotel in your Niagara Falls vacation plans.

Just an example of the many great features that the Tripadvisor Website can offer you when planning your next vacation.

Also, as for Expedia, it indeed is a HUGE Company… and you should be aware that it is the Parent-Company that also owns TripAdvisor… so complaining on this Website probably isn’t going to bring you much sympathy from other Travellers who have joined this Website specifically to learn about the Pitfalls of Travel (and avoid them) and at the same time share their "good experiences" and TIPS with other Travellers…. so... as Tripadvisor’s slogan says “Know the TRUTH… Then Go”.

There are no better words when it comes to Trip Planning. Hopefully you'll stick around and reap some of the benefits of the great wealth of info that is on this website so as to have a better vacation next time.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

3. Re: Expedia Problems

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2011, 07:18