We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aeroplan reward travel

Vancouver, British...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Aeroplan reward travel

This has got to be the worst Airline and Program for travel rewards ever. Yes, you can book up to 360 days in advance and you would have to, to get anywhere you wanted to go. Yet I still see all these Credit Card Companies saying sign up and you could be on your way somewhere immediately. I tried to book a flight a couple of years ago just to Toronto as my holiday package was based out of there and decided it would cut down cost. Instead of the 25,000 miles you can allegedly get a seat on travel within Canada or Continental USA it cost me 40,000 miles. Not only that but the plane was maximum 70% full going and not even 1/2 full on the return flight. And you still have to pay all the nav, security and other fees. You can try and make a complaint but all you get is a Customer Service rep that just repeats the script. I urge all travellers to avoid Air Canada, Air Canada Vacations, and also send messages to all the places ( Esso, CIBC Visa, etc. ) saying you will boycott this Airline and anyone affiliated with it until this Program is changed.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aeroplan reward travel

you are not alone with your displeasure. After more than 15 years with this card I'm switching to RBC avion... you can use the points on any airline.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aeroplan reward travel

Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience, djcincanada.

The TD travel rewards program is also very easy to use - you pay for stuff on your credit card, it racks up points. You buy any kind of travel-related service - flights, hotels, rental car, travel insurance etc. - if you book it through TD's reward centre, you can pay for it up front with your points (although there are service charges to book through them), or, after the fact, you can have the points converted to cash and applied to those charges on your card.

I have Aeroplan, too - and having read all the fine print, was already aware of the details. Personally, with only two airlines that fly across the country, I can't see the point of boycotting one of them (and the other one does not *always* have the best prices.) Also, Aeroplan is not owned or operated by Air Canada - see http://www.groupeaeroplan.com/pages/index.php for more information.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aeroplan reward travel

Hi DjcinCanada,

Welcome to the CANADA TRAVEL FORUM.

Another reason I am an AirMiles Member (Blue Card)... www.airmiles.ca You can collect AirMiles in 100s of ways... not just with a Credit Card (although you can do that to)... as well as convert points from many other programs into AirMiles, and in the end book to fly anywhere anytime with any ariline thru AirMiles Travel Agents... and even pay with a combo of miles & cash if you like. Very happy customer.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aeroplan reward travel

Hi DjcinCanada,

Welcome to the CANADA TRAVEL FORUM.

Another reason I am an AirMiles Member (Blue Card)... www.airmiles.ca You can collect AirMiles in 100s of ways... not just with a Credit Card (although you can do that to)... as well as convert points from many other programs into AirMiles, and in the end book to fly anywhere anytime with any airline thru AirMiles Travel Agents... and even pay with a combo of miles & cash if you like. Very happy customer.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 14 December 2010, 18:41
Vancouver, British...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Aeroplan reward travel

Air Canada and the Aeroplan program may not be under the same Company but certainly work " under the Umbrella of a Corporate entity " Also, I think it was 2 years ago I was going to fly from Vancouver to Prince George, B.C, on Dec.22nd or so using some of my remaining reward miles. It was a year when Vancouver got hit with a lot of snow. My flight was cancelled a day and 1/2 all Regional flights before I was to depart and if you watched the news ( I would have understood if the destination had problems with weather ) both the spokesperson for the Airport ( YVR ) as well as Air Canada came on. The Airport authority said it was an airline decision as Westjet and other airlines flew out ( sure there might have been some delays ) but Air Canada came on and there excuse was that in a previous storm a few weeks before they used more de-icing liquid than usually used in a couple of month period. Well, too bad, they are in the travel industry and that is just the cost of doing business. They ruined Xmas plans for people flying to Kelowna, Prince George, and other smaller destinations, while Westjet flew out. The Corporation ( I am not saying Employees ) simply have no regard for travellers.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aeroplan reward travel

Sorry for your frustration djcincanada~

I've used Aeroplan (and the Air Miles blue card) for travel within Canada, to Europe and the Caribbean with great savings. It doesn't mean things are wide open, but even with the blue Air Miles card you still have to pay taxes, etc to fly WestJet on points.

In fact I just booked a week in Aruba through Air Canada Vacations and saved almost $1000 by using our aeroplan miles. We've found there are other ways to cash in the points and that way don't have to worry about the availability of flights.

Have we had delays and cancellations on Air Canada----absolutely. But knowing a pilot who works for them, safety is always the reason and I gladly accept some inconvenience to feel confident about the aircraft.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aeroplan reward travel

"Under the umbrella of a corporate identity...." - I'm not sure what exactly that means, but in fact, Aeroplan hasn't been part of Air Canada since 2002 and is a completely separate legal entity. If you read the page link I provided, you would know that Groupe Aeroplan Inc. is a publicly traded company on the Toronto stock exchange (AER.TO) (as is Air Canada - ACa.TO ... two separate companies).

It's almost a national tradition to complain about Air Canada, but I have had both good and bad travel experiences with Air Canada and with WestJet - and with other airlines too, and personally, I am happy there are two airlines flying national routes, because if there was no competition, prices would be much higher. I have family clear across the country from where I am, and do not have the luxury of enough time off to drive all the way there and back (and even if I did, I'd rather not spend 10 or 12 days driving...) For some of my visits, Air Canada has the best scheduling and fares, other times it's WestJet.

Besides, I would take it as a favour, if an airline prevented me from visiting Prince George. ;-)

8. Re: Aeroplan reward travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2011, 07:16