We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My experience with redtag.ca

Saskatoon, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
My experience with redtag.ca

I am planning an international multi-city trip. I was talking to someone from redtag.ca; I was getting a great price from them. On Friday afternoon, I wanted to book when I learned they were having server problems. Come Saturday morning the price for the trip went up 100pp. This where everything turned for me, up until now everyone was quite nice to deal with. Saturday, the person I was dealing with had the day off so I tried to talk to someone else; they past me around the call centre 3 times before I insisted to be transferred to the manger's voice mail. On Monday, my agent returned, who promptly and curtly got rid of me. I have been playing phone tag with the manager.

All in all here is my conclusion...I don't want to be that guy who says they're horrible people but I cannot help but wonder what kind of support I would receive if something were to have gone during my vacation. They had a reasonable price but I was treated less than respectfully as soon as I had a problem. I have booked with other online sites several times and I have never had such a headache even when I've requested price adjustments or changes. I'm not going to make any recommendation but I personally do not have confidence in redtag.ca.

BTW I ended up purchasing the same flights from expedia.ca for less.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My experience with redtag.ca

Hi GoBruins-11,

Welcome to the CANADA TRAVEL FORUM.

And I see you are brand NEW Member to TripAdvisor... so a BIG Welcome Aboard as well !!

Sorry to hear about your troubles... fortunately, it looks like you found out BEFORE it was too late!!

Not sure how familiar you are with Third Party Booking Services or On-Line Travel Agents... BUT one of the reasons they are able to offer such good deals are there are RISKS involved... and one of them is that they are governed by different rules than a Travel Agent with a 3-D presence vs a virtual one (remember most of these companies despite having a Dot-CA addy... ARE NOT based in Canada, so don't fall under our Laws).

There are countless stories here on TA about Travellers who have found themselves holding some worthless piece of paper... or are just unsatisfied with the Vacation they were delivered, vs the one they planned and were "promised".

If you can deal with the knowledge of accepting the RISKS then these types of Bargain Basement Travel options can be a good choice. If your hard-earned vacation dollars mean more to you... then you'd probably be best purchasing directly from an Airline - Hotel - Rental Car Company - Tour etc... vs a 3rd Party Company... you'll find that when you deal directly your purchases have more solid guarantees, and procedures that you can take with your Credit Card company if you are not satisfied / don't receive anything other than a "false promise".

Stick around TA... you'll find you can learn a lot from other Travellers... this website is great... like your post it is all about sharing info.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My experience with redtag.ca

I haven't used redtag but it sounds like you had an annoying situation with a price increase. Regardless of their server issues, they only book your trips based on the prices they receive from the airline, hotel, car rental companies etc. So if the airline for example increases the price while the server is down, there really is not much they can do to help you afterwards.

I regularly book with priceline, hotwire, travelocity and expedia and have never had any issues. I always make sure I have a confirmation number and typically check that it works to verify my reservation on the airline/hotel website. Beyond that I do often check to see if they offer the same or cheaper prices and if they do I book direct. However, the major 3rd party online agencies I listed above are all legit and I would recommend them to anyone I know.

3. Re: My experience with redtag.ca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2011, 05:17