We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would it be feasible

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Would it be feasible

As my husband has a big birthday May 2012 . I know he would like to go to Canada . To start off flying to ? Toronto to see Niagara falls and then flying west to see point of interest ending up in Vancover. I did Niagara Falls years ago but flew to Buffalo and the Rockies and would like to stay again at the Chateau on Lake Louise as a treat . We would be away 10 days or thereabouts. Would taking a car mean we were driving too much .or do you suggest train or plane. He is not a lover of big cities as we have a tendancy to get lost.Any advice would be appreciated

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,432 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would it be feasible

Well you are already accustomed with our scale of things. So yes why not fly to Toronto, stay for one or two days and either make a day trip or overnight in Niagara. You can rent a car only for your trip to Niagara as it will make it possible to see other attractions around: the gigantic Welland locks, the wineries and Niagara-on-the-Lake which is absolutely charming and there there are nice but expensive lodging options over there. You could even attend a play at the famous Shaw Festival at night.

Then you can either fly to Calgary and rent a car to Lake Louise or fly to Edmonton, take the Canadian train to Jasper and then rent a car to do a tour of the Rockies with Lake Louise as your ultimate destination. You could then return to Jasper and take the Canadian overnight to Vancouver. I am suggesting that so as to minimize the driving time and the possibility of looking at the mountains from the comfort of a train wagon. Also due to the distances drop off a car rental in another city, even worst another province, can bring hefty fees. You should actually investigate that aspect if you would like to drive from Calgary to Vancouver with stop at Lake Louise.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would it be feasible

Thank you for your reply. I will start to build on this. Last time I brought my son for his 18th we stayed with people in Edmonton and did Lake Louise and Jasper.I have just contacted the rodeo website as if at all possible would like to get a rodeo in . I know Calgary is in July but we are there in May .My husband used to ride steeple chasers and I know he would enjoy anything like that Thank you for your time

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,432 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would it be feasible

Train is by Via Rail and the Canadian has only 3 trains going west and 3 going east per week so make sure of your timetable around your ittinerary.

If you want something special you could take the Canadian all the way from Toronto. It is one of the classic train ride of the world and it is not done "à la Orient Express" but part of our national train network. Only thing is that Toronto Jasper (no train to Lake Louise) is 2 days and 17 hours! But once in a lifetime!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,206 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would it be feasible

If your husband isn't a fan of big cities, he may not enjoy the near-constant crush of people at Niagara Falls. I've always felt that Takkakaw Falls, in Yoho National Park about an hour's drive west of Lake Louise, is equally impressive, less crowded, and more natural.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would it be feasible

We heard a lot of people go to Niagara falls when I was there 20 years ago when it was very cold at the end of Feb There was only 3 of us and 3 Japanese so I suppose we were lucky will bear in mind the ones near Lake Louise -we stayed there for 59 dollars for the room 12 years ago I nearly died when I saw it was going to be over $600 next year for 1 night. Inflation is a horrible thing. Please keep your suggestions coming

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,206 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would it be feasible

Even 12 years ago, you must have had quite a deal to pay $59 a night in Lake Louise!

However, on re-reading your OP, I see that you're coming in May, which means that the road to Takkakaw Falls may not be open just yet, and I suppose it won't be as busy in Niagara Falls as it is in mid-summer.

May is still early spring in the Rockies; Lake Louise will still be pretty, but frozen. At least one ski area, Sunshine Village, will still be operating.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would it be feasible

It sounds like a wonderful trip but too much for 10 days. With 2 weeks you could manage Niagara Falls, and the West to Vancouver......and even that will seem a bit of a rush.

Flight to Toronto, a day or 2 in Niagara Falls, flight to Calgary, car rental---loop around Banff and Lake Louise and then driving to Vancouver (2 days). Whew!

You can see how your time will quickly add up.

I would either leave the Falls for an eastern Canada holiday another time, or give yourself a minimum of 2 weeks. You're talking an expanse of 4500 km!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,720 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would it be feasible

You might also get "sticker shock" when you price out flying between Toronto and Alberta (either YYC or YEG), although May being not peak season yet, there should be a bit of a break there. There are only two airlines that fly national routes in Canada - Air Canada and WestJet - and neither is a "budget" airline. To save on airfare costs and especially time, you may want to check into an "open jaw" fare: the UK to Toronto, Toronto to Alberta, Alberta to the UK.

Driving from Toronto to Alberta in this short of a holiday is not feasible - it's over 3600 km (maybe you don't quite realize the scale of things?) You probably wouldn't be able to find a car rental agency that will allow a one-way rental of that distance anyway; if you did, it would be prohibitively expensive.

Calgary (YYC) is the closest airport to Lake Louise, although as mentioned, driving the route from Jasper (fly into Edmonton) down to Lake Louise via the Icefields Parkway would give you a beautiful tour of the Rockies (and then fly out of Calgary). Going all the way to Vancouver (about a 10 - 12 hour drive from Lake Louise, best done over two days) would be adding too much, imo. Spend the few days in the Rockies instead - lots to do and see, even in May.

A lot of people do a quick tour of western Canada in ~10 days - Calgary to Vancouver via the Rockies, but even that is a rushed itinerary, imo. Adding in a couple of days in eastern Canada, and the travel time between east and west, makes for a jam-packed itinerary; only you can decide if you like that fast-paced a vacation.

Regarding adding in a rodeo - I think this is going to also add in more driving time, probably to another town or city somewhere in Alberta, unless you can find one somewhere along the way. There is a (very) small town not too far from Jasper that has a small rodeo sometime in the last half of May - the Brule rodeo - perhaps you can google up more information about it. Brule is located near Hinton, about three hours' drive from Edmonton, and just over an hour from Jasper.

One other thing to be aware of - there is a holiday weekend in May - Victoria Day. In 2012, it will be the weekend of May 18 - 21. The Victoria Day weekend is very busy in the national parks - it's the first "summer" long weekend (but not usually very summer-y in the mountains... here in Jasper, a snowstorm is almost an annual tradition) and the kick-off to the summer tourist season and the camping season.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would it be feasible

Well I think it will be heading west for us Thank you all who gave your time to give us your valued advice

10. Re: Would it be feasible

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2012, 07:16