We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canada with a 18 month old

london
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Canada with a 18 month old

Hello!

I am trying to think of a family friendly place to visit with a very active baby/toddler (as a honeymoon of sorts!). I was thinking Canada as never visited and it looks so beautiful with lots of lovely outdoor things to do.

Can anyone recommend any nice areas with shorter flights from the UK?

Katie

toronto
Level Contributor
290 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canada with a 18 month old

As I'm sure you know, Canada is a huge country and there are vast differences in scenery, climate, etc., from one area to another. First, when would you visit? Shorter flights from the U.K. would indicate Eastern or Central Canada.

The Atlantic Provinces are popular, charming and still not overly busy vacation destinations. Some spectacular scenery. Nova Scotia in particular offers one of the most scenic drives in North America on the Cabot Trail, particularly the portion through Cape Breton Highlands National Park. Wildlife viewing is good - lots of birds including Bald Eagles, seals, and Moose are seen fairly often. In summer there are whale-watching tours from various locations in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

Prince Edward Island (PEI) is famous for its beaches and its "Anne of Green Gables" related attractions.

The dramatic tides and scenery of the Bay of Fundy can be seen from a number of locations, but are most dramatic at Alma/Fundy National Park and Hopewell Rocks, both in New Brunswick.

In Central Canada - Quebec City is charming for adults, not sure for toddlers. Montreal could be appealing - Old Montreal is great for adult strolls and there are several child oriented attractions e.g. the Biodome. Toronto is another big city with lots to do for everyone. And it's only about 1.5 hours by car from Niagara Falls. There are some outdoor things to do in all these cities, but if you want more extensive "natural" areas and activities, you might want to include some time outside of the big cities (e.g. the Charlevoix Region outside Quebec City, Mont Tremblant outside of Montreal [although it is a popular resort area], Maybe Algonquin Park or a resort in the Muskokas if coming from Toronto).

This is just a small sampling of ideas as again, it's a big country.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,983 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canada with a 18 month old

Hi Katie;

Canada is a huge country. It is;

• approximately 9,984,670 sq. km / 3,855,103 sq mi.

• comprised of six time zones.

• over 8,000 km / 5,500 mi. wide, from Atlantic to Pacific coasts.

• close to 50 degrees latitude from North to South, about 25% of the distance from the North Pole to the South Pole.

• the second largest country in the world after Russia.

• only slightly smaller than all of Europe.

• almost 30% larger than Australia

• almost 41 times the size of the UK.

Without knowing your family’s interests, when you are planning to visit, and how long you have for your visit, it would be very difficult to make suggestions / recommendations.

Best Regards

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,973 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canada with a 18 month old

Traveling with a baby is hard work - I mostly avoided it. I agree with the suggestion of Prince Edward Island, and you might also look at Nova Scotia. With a child of that age, you might want something like a cabin on the beach to just stay put for a while. We only had two days at Cavendish Beach on PEI, but it was a marvelous spot.

I'd suggest that you post on the PEI forum and the Nova Scotia forum and also visit the Tourism websites for those two provinces to start getting some ideas for what a vacation would look like and the sorts of things that you might do.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Canada with a 18 month old

In terms of flights, the shortest non-stop would be from London to St. John's Newfoundland (5 hours 40 minutes westbound, 5 hrs 5 mins eastbound -- summers only). Halifax is next (6h 40m west, 5h 50m east), then Montreal/Ottawa/Toronto are all about 7.5h westbound and 7h eastbound.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canada with a 18 month old

Hi katsmyth~If you are planning a Canadian trip, I agree with the idea of visiting the Maritimes. The flight would be doable, and there's so much to see in quite a small area.

We spent a glorious week with our daughter (who had just turned 2 yrs.) at a beachfront cottage on PEI. It was some time ago so I can't recommend the exact property, but we had lots to do and it was still relaxing.

With grocery stores available, and a kitchen, you would be able to cater to the little one with ease. And PEI is small enough that driving on the "wrong" side shouldn't be a problem for you. :)

Have a look here to give you some idea of what's available:

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentals-g155022-Revi…

While all this would be lovely, travelling with a baby or toddler is something that still involves much planning, and we found ourselves with a car packed full of things to keep our dd busy and comfortable for the week. Have you thought of something a bit closer to home?

6. Re: Canada with a 18 month old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2012, 10:18