We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Returning to Canada without customs hastles: jewellery/watch

ontario
Level Contributor
175 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Returning to Canada without customs hastles: jewellery/watch

I am going to be leaving Canada to the US with my watch. It's expensive and new. How can I ensure when I return that I will not be hastled by customs to pay duties etc upon my return ?

I don't have a receipt as it was a gift.

Thank you

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,690 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Returning to Canada without customs hastles: jewellery/watch

Hi legsbut_boo_b_elly;

You can approach Canada Customs and "declare" your watch *prior* to leaving the country. They will provide you with a form that you can then present to Customs when returning to Canada, showing that you had the item prior to your trip.

Best Regards

ontario
Level Contributor
175 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Returning to Canada without customs hastles: jewellery/watch

Thanks RescueTeam: Is that really all there is to it? Do I need appraisals/receipts/pictures?

Thanks

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,690 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Returning to Canada without customs hastles: jewellery/watch

You're Welcome, legsbut_boo_b_elly !

I did this with a new laptop computer, so there was a serial number, make & model to reference. A quick call to CBSA (Can. Customs) would be best.

Canada Border Services Agency can be reached at 1-800-461-9999.

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Returning to Canada without customs hastles: jewellery/watch

If the watch has a serial number, that's all they need. Or if you don't mind them attaching a sticker to it, that'd work too (though I don't know how big the sticker is). More details here: tradelawyersblog.com/blog/…

If you're flying out, look for a customs office near the arrivals area of the airport. If you're crossing the border by land, there's usually a special lane that lets you pull into Canadian customs just before actually leaving the country.

ontario
Level Contributor
175 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Returning to Canada without customs hastles: jewellery/watch

thanks for the help. looks like there is a form Y38 that is filled out and CBSA gives me a card with the serial number of the watch etc.

Thanks again.

6. Re: Returning to Canada without customs hastles: jewellery/watch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2013, 09:23