We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WestJet Airlines - Reliable?

London, United...
8 posts
Save Topic
WestJet Airlines - Reliable?

I am looking to travel from Quebec to Toronto in June and found out about WestJet Airlines.

Has anyone used this airline? How reliable is it?

Please let me know if anyone has used it.

Many Thanks

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
77,468 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WestJet Airlines - Reliable?

Hi darsha;

This forum is primarily about the country of Canada in general.

You would be better to post your question on the Quebec City forum, where you are most likely to receive qualified replies.

Best Regards

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,285 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WestJet Airlines - Reliable?

They are one of the two main airlines in Canada, darsha. They are as reliable as Air Canada - some would say more. (Some Canadians "love to hate" Air Canada, probably dating back to when it was a government-owned company, which it isn't anymore.)

If you are looking to book domestic flights in Canada, I would suggest signing up for email newsletters at both airlines' website. That way you get an email notice when there are sales on. When there are seat sales on, they are generally priced very competitively against each other.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WestJet Airlines - Reliable?

Hi, darsha;

West Jet is very reliable, and also very service-oriented.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Level Contributor
786 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WestJet Airlines - Reliable?

Westjet is typically MORE expensive than Air Canada when flying out of Toronto. There has not been one instance where I have found Westjet to be lower in fares that Air Canada. Now Westjet is said to be friendlier and also serves complimentary meals that AC does not. Westjet is as reliable as Air Canada. If price is of concern try AC first and then Westjet to get a comparason but in most if not all times you will find AC lower price wise.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,973 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WestJet Airlines - Reliable?

I prefer WestJet over Air Canada. IMO their service is better. But Air Canada is the one that flies to a great number of places in Canada and overseas where Westjet does not.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WestJet Airlines - Reliable?

I'll never fly Westjet again. They have lost touch with the basics. On Feb 26 2013 we were delayed one hour at the gate lounge. Then once on the plane and backing up to take off, Captain said we would be delayed 10-15 min due to a part failure. Tech was to drive out to us and fix it. That turned into another 30 minutes. Then just when we were good to go, it happened again. We had to taxi back to the gate TWICE. By then the snow started. So now we had to wait inline for de-iceing. Then one of the trucks ran out of de-ice. On top of all this, there was no cool air on the plane. It must have been 80F. ...2-1/2 hours later (not including the delay in the lounge) we finally took off. All the passengers were visually upset. But Westjet did nothing.

I know things can happen, but this was a nightmare. We were not allowed to get up and move around. In all that time, they gave us 6 oz of water. I should also add, this was a weeknight depart. So most like myself, must have had to work that day, and had been up since 7AM. A very long day. When we finally got up in the air, WESTJET's arrogant boldness of now charging overprices for food and drink to clients who were now starving and uncomfortable, was just pure greed with no compassion of how the whole plane felt. The WESTJET experience came to an end when we were told "bottled water" would cost $3.95.... and.... they don't except cash only credit. Using a credit card to now buy water?....That was the straw. That's it for me with WESTJET.

I herd about these nightmares with delays. But this was the first for me.

I don't wish them on anyone. They are bad dreams. WESTJET could have stepped up, and made us feel more comfortable for the 2-1/2 hours we had to sit confined to our small seats on a hot plane. 2-1/2 hour delay and then a 4 hour flight to Las Vegas... I could only imagine how the people with phobias felt. The Slogan - "why do west jet employees care so much? cause were also westjet owners".......I won't read into that.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WestJet Airlines - Reliable?

You may also wish to considedr Porter airlines, small regional with competive pricing, fly right in downtown toronto, and great service, comfort, etc.

Personally I avoid westjet and would fly AC over westjet

Edited: 05 March 2013, 13:09
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
21,908 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: WestJet Airlines - Reliable?

One assumes the OP made their choice and travelled, given the post is from 2012. It has only popped up because wino7 felt the need to rant.

Toronto, Ontario...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: WestJet Airlines - Reliable?

Right on. WestJet have forgotten why people chose to fly with them. The recent seat reconfiguration is the last straw. The seat space is puny, your face is just inches away from the seat in front of you. They claim the difference is small - baloney! They've discarded their past focus on the customer and are instead embarking on a misguided attempt to make more money at the expense of customer comfort. It is short sighted and has cost them this customer, who is a frequent flyer.

10. Re: WestJet Airlines - Reliable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2014, 07:17