We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halifax to Vancouver via the Yukon

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Halifax to Vancouver via the Yukon

Looking to drive from Halifax to Vancouver via a diversion to the Yukon, starting in early August for 10 weeks.

Any advice on the vehicle, etc etc.

Mentioned in this post
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
22,722 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halifax to Vancouver via the Yukon

I think you will find that the one way drop off fee for a rental vehicle will be astronomical.

You do not need any special type of vehicle - roads are paved here, including in the Yukon.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,184 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halifax to Vancouver via the Yukon

Welcome to the forum, Stephen ~

There have been a number of posts about travelling across Canada, although including Yukon is a first, I think! :-) you might search in this forum for "driving across canada" and any other pertinent search words you can come up with.

One of the first things you might do is read the Top Questions on this forum to the right side.

Car: are you planning a loop route, returning the car to original point of rental? You're looking at about 6000 km one way from Halifax to Van and 6 time zones. Van to Whitehorse is about 2300 km. Keep in mind that we have basically Hwy 1, the Trans Canada Highway to do the east-west route on, meaning driving the same highway twice, although you could certainly return by driving through the States. Some rental agencies restrict what neighbouring provinces you can take a car to. Most will not be interested in renting one way to you. They would have to get the car back to point of origin, even if shipping it by train, clear across the country for 3 days, 14 hours to Toronto, say, so that cost would be down to you.

I think what you might consider is flying between cities that interest you, renting a car for a much more localised loop tour from each of those cities.

10 weeks would be a perfect allotment if time really, for a one way. The car rental people are going to be the problem. You might even consider travelling some portions of Canada by VIA Rail. Link is here:

tripadvisor.com/…18813502

and

http://seat61.com/Canada.htm#.UaioI8u9KSN

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Whitehorse
Whitehorse
Yukon, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
VIA Rail Canada
VIA Rail Canada
1,596 Reviews
Canada
Zandvoort, The...
Level Contributor
2 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halifax to Vancouver via the Yukon

I wonder if you did the trip and what your experiences were. In mai and June 2014 i am planning to do this route with an RV. Starting in halifax, ending in Vancouver and visiting Banff, Jasper and vancouver island. Do you have information about activities, free campings spots... etc.

Thanx!

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,181 posts
784 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Halifax to Vancouver via the Yukon

Miloubeer, you may be best advised to start your own forum posting rather than tagging on the back of another posting....also you may want to put your query in the road trips forum as you may get some great advice there....

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,685 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halifax to Vancouver via the Yukon

Free camping spots = (some) Walmart parking lots. In the national parks (Banff, Jasper), it's illegal to camp other than in a campground. In general, free camping is not very common in Canada.

Milou, the very first thing you should do is to see if you can find an RV company that will allow you to do a one-way rental cross Canada.

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,184 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halifax to Vancouver via the Yukon

I think Milou is asking the OP if they did this trip. Fair enough but with no further posts since May, asking more questions, it is unlikely they did come.

Zandvoort, The...
Level Contributor
2 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Halifax to Vancouver via the Yukon

We already made reservations with a RV company, so making the trip is confirmed. Now i am looking for cheap (free) places to stay and interesting activeties to do and sights to see.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
22,722 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Halifax to Vancouver via the Yukon

<iloubeer - Now then is the time to put together a tentative itinerary, and then post in the local/regional forums for suggestions.

You are currently on someone else's post, which as noted, is considered somewhat bad form. Additionally, the all-encompassing Canada forum is not well followed by local experts so you will not be taking advantage of the local expertise those individuals have.

Sit down with a map, plan out an itinerary and start researching and asking questions in the right places.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,685 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Halifax to Vancouver via the Yukon

Also, when posting your more specific questions in the various regional forums, please be sure to let us know who is travelling (couple, family, seniors?) and what your interests are. The more information you give us to work with, the more likely you will get relevant and useful information back. I am quite happy, for instance, to type up detailed information for people who are interested in hiking in the Rockies, but I don't take the time to do that until they have given an indication of time and distance of trails desired etc. ... otherwise, I could spend a lot of time writing up information that is useless to them.

As I mentioned earlier, camping for free is not typically done in much of Canada - it's against the law in most towns and cities (and in the national parks), and on privately owned land, requires permission from the land-owner or else you are trespassing. Campsites generally cost from $15 to $40 per night, depending on whether they are primitive (unserviced) or have hook-ups (electric, water and sewer). Government-run campsites (national and provincial parks) tend to be more natural and have fewer sites crowded in; privately run RV parks are often more like parking lots and may have on-site services like a pool, store, laundry facilities, Wifi etc.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
10. Re: Halifax to Vancouver via the Yukon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 06:32