We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter tours in Canada

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Winter tours in Canada

Is anyone aware of any Winter tours in Canada (for younger people) that run after late November through December, or has any other suggestions for touring Western Canada at this time of the year?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,747 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter tours in Canada

Welcome to the forum, Lizk91 ~

We have Moose Network but I notice the latest tour offering is just into November. There just isn't a demand for tours after the end of November. The eastern half of BC has snow, ice, black ice, avalanches, lots of cloud and overcast skies, temps ranging from 2 to 7C in Vancouver to about -12 to -4C in Banff. There will be skiing available in the Banff area, but on the coast snow doesn't begin to stick to the mountains until Christmas or so. In Vancouver, it will be raining, grey and dreary. When it's not giving us that kind of weather, it will be cold, weak sunny, and very very crisp to the face and nose here in Vancouver.

www.moosenetwork.com/tours_canada_west.php

We have the Greyhound coach, a utilitarian blue collar scheduled service from place to place. Takes about 15 hours to get from Vancouver to Banff. There is limited transportation between Banff and Jasper. That is weather dependent during the winter.

www.greyhound.ca

There is also VIA Rail which runs 2 times a week between Vancouver and Jasper over 20 hours. FYi, you might be interested in seeing what engine goes ahead to clear the tracks in the winter in the mountains. Freight trains get priority on the tracks.

…staticflickr.com/3465/3202500977_a36f3ca3f2…

www.viarail.ca

You would have a much more successful time of it I think, if you considered Vancouver, Whistler and Vancouver Island for say 14-18 nights. You'd need a car for VI. It really is better to visit here sometime between June and September.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,160 posts
774 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter tours in Canada

You may also want to post your query in the British Columbia or Alberta or Canadian Rockies forums as there is much more traffic in those forums as the Canada forum is usually patrolled by a few regulars, you may more responses, though Mufti's was pretty solid...

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,417 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter tours in Canada

That tends to be a very quiet time of year in many of the resort towns in western Canada. Although some ski areas open as early as mid-November, the ski season doesn't really get ramped up until Christmas. Most of the tours offered in the winter months are geared around the various ski resorts, for downhill skiing or snowboarding; the sightseeing/tourist tours usually run May through October or so. Here in the Canadian Rocky Mountain national parks, there are a number of tourist attractions that are seasonal and shut down after mid-October, and also some of the secondary roads to popular sites close about then too. So there is less to see in the way of sightseeing - and it's cold and daylight hours are short.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter tours in Canada

Thanks for your input!

I would dedinitely love to come later or earlier but sadly I am planning my trip between finishing uni and starting work in the New Year which makes my dates for travel limited!

I seem to be finding the same information everywhere sadly! I have family in Vernon to stay with which does help.

What is the East like at that time of year (Quebec, Toronto etc)?

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,310 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter tours in Canada

Weather-wise the east is not that much different than the west - November - early December are dark, damp, and chilly. There would be a faint possibility of snow in Montreal and Toronto - often by Xmas there is snow in Quebec City. I don't know of any tours at that time of the year - but the advantage of this part of the country is that travel options are more accessible and plentiful, since unpopulated distances are not as vast. There is regular train, bus and short -haul flights between cities such as Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City. So you can travel on your own safely and easily rather than being part of a tour.

I suggest you get off this Canada forum and take a look at the individual city forums for ideas and suggestions.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter tours in Canada

Thank You so much for your help!

7. Re: Winter tours in Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 05:17