We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drivers Licence

Merrigum, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Drivers Licence

Hi,

I am going to be staying in Ontario Canada for a month and was wondering if I would need to purchase and international drivers licence? I live in Australia but I'm only on my P's.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,219 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drivers Licence

What is a P? Let me guess, Provisional? In Canada, car rental agencies rent to those 25 and over. Insurance surcharges kick in if a rental company will rent to those under 25. In Canada, drivers' licences are mandated provincially. I could tell you about BC, but you really need to post on the Ontario forum to see what the regulations are there. But there are quite a few knowledgeable Ontarians who follow this Canada forum, so hang in there to see who picks up your question. The Ontario Forum is here if you need it:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g154979-i54-Ontari…

An International Driving Permit is not a government issued document. Here it is issued by the AAA agency. The only reason a person would need a IDP is if their native driver's licence was in a language other then English. An IDP is literally a translation document.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,711 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drivers Licence

>> An International Driving Permit is not a government issued document.

Depends where you try to get one. For instance it is issued by the government (only) in Hong Kong.

>> The only reason a person would need a IDP is if their native driver's licence was in a language other then English.

Not in Canada, not in other countries. There is no legal stipulation that a foreign license not in English is invalid in Canada for short term visitors.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,711 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drivers Licence

>> if I would need to purchase and international drivers licence?

ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/drive-ontario-v…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,219 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drivers Licence

Yes that's true, in Australia, a driver may or may not need to go through a government agency.

Actually I should have said "if the native licence is not in English or French." I conveniently ignored our other official language.

A valid DL is legal of course, no matter what language it is in. I'm not talking about invalid or legal stipulation. My comment refers to something such as a Canadian police officer stopping the car for some alleged violation or accident, seeing the DL is in Farsi or whatever and then possibly requiring the visitor to go to a translator to have the licence translated into English for a Canadian official, possibly in court, to be able to be read. At some expense. At much more expense than paying the $xx to purchase an IDP. A DL in English or French is ready to go.

Edited: 30 August 2013, 05:26
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drivers Licence

Depending where in Ontario you will be staying for a month....if in Toronto, I would avoid driving in general....if you plan to go elsewhere, it may be worth looking into exactly what you need....

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,093 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drivers Licence

Definition of a P license from Wikipedia shows it is a provisional license, much like a graduated license here in Ontario. Not entirely sure one would be able to rent a vehicle with this type of license. And as noted, a car is unneccesary in cities such as Toronto and Ottawa. Additionally, if you are unfamiliar with driving in large cities or on major freeways, especially on a different side of the road from what you are used to, I wouldn't recommend it. See this recent thread on a similar situation:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155019-i55-k67822…

From Wikipedia:

Provisional Licence

P1NSW.png

Provisional Licence applicants must be at least 17 years of age, held a Learner Licence for a minimum of six months and completed either a logbook with an accredited driving instructor or passed a practical driving test.[4][5] The Provisional Licence is valid for three years.[4] Provisional drivers must display red on white "P Plates" for three years unless: (a) they take an additional road safety program Road Ready Plus after six months of obtaining their Provisional Licence; or (b) they are over 26 years of age and held their licence for six months.[4] Provisional holders who have taken the RRP[expand acronym] course or are over 26 years of age also get an additional four demerit point allowance.[citation needed] Provisional drivers must have a zero blood-alcohol limit.[5]

Edited: 30 August 2013, 13:04
Merrigum, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Drivers Licence

Thanks for your help everyone :)

Im not actually going to be renting a car i have a car available, I'm pretty sure i'll be ale to drive on my P's, because it is a valid drivers license in Aus

8. Re: Drivers Licence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2014, 06:20