We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Montreal - looking for suggestions

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
First trip to Montreal - looking for suggestions

Hi. I am traveling to Montreal the first week of October for around 5-6 days. I'm traveling by myself and am very open to suggestions. Hoping to do a mix of "touristy" and "non-touristy" things while I'm there. Would love some suggestions on cool things to do/experience while I'm in Montreal, suggestions on neighborhoods to stay, bars and restaurants to visit and anything else someone would recommend a first time visitor to check out.

Also, I would love to visit a few surrounding cities/towns as well, preferably those that I can get to via train in a couple of hours. I'd probably just do one or two day stops. Any suggestions? Quebec City? Ottawa? Anything else?

Cheers,

Mike

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,690 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Montreal - looking for suggestions

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Mike;

This forum is primarily about the country of Canada in general.

You would be better to post your question on the Montreal Qc forum, where you are most likely to receive qualified replies. That forum is here on TA;

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g155032-i51-Montrea…

Best Regards

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Montreal - looking for suggestions

Thank you!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Montreal - looking for suggestions

I'd choose either Ottawa or Quebec City if you are goin elsewhere....I'd try to go to a Habs game, hockey is great anywhere in Canada...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,474 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Montreal - looking for suggestions

Québec city will give you an experience of a unique Canadian history location, along with a modern vibrant French Canadian experience.

Ottawa is a government, civil servant city with an attractive setting, enough to do and some major national museums.

You've only got 5-6 days, pick one. Go to the Québec City and the Ottawa Forums, then look in the Things to Do button in the green menu bar across the screen (on a real computer) see which appeals to you more. One easy way to change forums is to type 'Ottawa Forum' in the search field above the green menu bar.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,620 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Montreal - looking for suggestions

OP has now posted in the Montreal forum.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,474 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Montreal - looking for suggestions

I know. Don't have anything to add there.

7. Re: First trip to Montreal - looking for suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 06:22