We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Columbia/Alberta itinerary

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
British Columbia/Alberta itinerary

Any advice welcome on the following draft itinerary:

Fly from UK to Calgary

Rental car (whole trip) drive Calgary to Banff (3 nights in Banff).

Banff to Jasper (3 nights)

Jasper to Clearwater (2 nights)

Clearwater to Kelowna (2 nights)

Kelowna to Vancouver

Once I get to Vancouver I know what I want to do (mostly visiting Vancouver Island) - but any thoughts on the Calgary to Vancouver trip would be greatly appreciated.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,936 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: British Columbia/Alberta itinerary

I don't suggest you ask in the Canada forum. I know it makes sense intuitively to do so since your question is about two different provinces, but the Canada forum is an agglomeration of all the destination forums within Canada, so topics posted to it tend to get pushed off the first page fairly quickly by the sheer volume of threads from all the different local forums. Not saying you won't get answers here, but it's all too likely that the people with the best information to contribute will miss your question entirely.

Instead, post on the Canadian Rockies forum ( tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g659487-i11598-Cana… ), which is nested within the Alberta forum. You can also post a seperate thread in the BC forum ( tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154922-i80-British… ) about the Clearwater to Vancouver leg of your journey, at least if you don't get enough info in the Canadian Rockies forum about the BC segment of the trip.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,042 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British Columbia/Alberta itinerary

Agreed, but now that I'm here….

Personally, I always advocate in favour of the highway 1 route through BC for a one way trip. If you are doing the loop, then highway 16 and 5 through Clearwater is fine, but IMHO the best of the scenery is between Jasper and Valemount and after that, its just roadside trees all the way to Kamloops. Personally, I recommend driving out to Valemount as a day trip from Jasper. You will have seen the best of that route by doing that.

By contrast, the Icefields Parkway south from Jasper is worth doing twice. The views are different in the other direction and you won't be sorry to get a second dose of this world class scenery. And then through the Kicking Horse Pass and Roger's Pass to Revelstoke, which is a very nice town with some worthwhile stops, including a national park, and then Kelowna is a short drive from there.

<<Once I get to Vancouver I know what I want to do (mostly visiting Vancouver Island)>> LOL. Those are two completely different things! Are you visiting Vancouver, or are you going to spend time on Vancouver Island? Vancouver Island is a two-week destination all on its own. It has a mountain range down the centre and takes several hours to drive across. Its not something you see while visiting Vancouver. The journey from Vancouver to Victoria, the provincial capital at the southern tip of the island, is 4 hours one way. Doable as a day trip, but a long and exhausting one and better with at least one night in Victoria.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,201 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British Columbia/Alberta itinerary

+1 for all of the above.

Check Canadian Affair for a one way car rental with no one way drop fee.

www.canadianaffair.com

Wales will fit into 2/3 of Vancouver Island.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British Columbia/Alberta itinerary

Thank you - really welcome advice.

I completely understand your comments about Vancouver and Vancouver Island - I have visited there before and will have 10-12 days in total for this part of the trip. Staying at Port Alberni for instance will certainly feature as a base to explore the Island.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Mark

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: British Columbia/Alberta itinerary

That's very helpful guidance thanks - I will definitely re-post as you suggest.

I'm sure a Klutz like me should be able to figure it out!

I appreciate you taking the time to put me straight.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,486 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British Columbia/Alberta itinerary

Hi

FYI

Port Alberni is not the ideal location to see Vancouver Island, The road from Victoria to Port Hardy is linear and does not lend well to day trips from a central point. The route favours the east side of the island where most of the urban areas are located. Other than Tofino/Ucluelet the west side of the island is not easily accessible. The British Columbia and Tofino forums have lots of info.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British Columbia/Alberta itinerary

Thank you for your thoughts - and your point is well made, but my family has great memories of bear watching at Port Alberni from an earlier trip - and we're definitely going back. I am fortunate to have spent time in Tofino, Ucluelet, Qualicum Beach, Victoria etc. I appreciate your thoughts though.

8. Re: British Columbia/Alberta itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2014, 04:17