We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canada Tour/Study

London, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Canada Tour/Study

Hi

I am planning on going to Canada in July/August 2014

I have 2 options and would like some advice

My first option is the studying option. I plan to fly from London straight to Montreal and do a French course ( I studied French at University and would like to practice my french language skills) the course is for 2 weeks. After my french course i would like to visit Quebec and Ottawa perhaps 2 days in Quebec and a day in Ottawa (could i visit Ottawa from Quebec/Montreal?)

After that i plan to go to Toronto to stay with family for 2 1/2 weeks then head to New York in late August and maybe go to the US Open as im a huge tennis fan!

My other option would be not do the studying option or New York.

I would travel from London straight to Toronto for a week, then head to Montreal for few days then quebec city for a few days. Then head back to Toronto and fly to Vancouver- would it be easier to fly from Quebec/Montreal instead of going back to toronto (i was hoping to base myself in Toronto as i can leave some things in tooronto with family) . From Vancouver i am hoping to see some of Western Canada. In particular - Whistler, Kamloops, Jasper, Banff, Vernon, Calgary. I am not sure whther it would be best to do a tour for this ( i have seen a contiki tour) or do this on my own. Please advise. I would then head back to Toronto for a week or so and then head back to London.

If i don't do the studying then i can afford to do the tour of Western Canada, I've also had a look at doing the studying option without going to New York and doing Western Canada aswell but its still too much.

Please advise on what you think.

Thank you

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,470 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canada Tour/Study

Well, you have two completely different itineraries there that you will have to choose between. I'm really not sure how someone else can help you to decide, because only you know what you want to do.

If you do the study option, I might suggest you look at studying in Quebec City rather than Montreal. QC is still very French, Montreal is more cosmopolitan and serves as the English heart of La Belle Province. Lots of French in Montreal, but lots of English too. If you want a French immersion experience, I wouldn't choose Montreal.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canada Tour/Study

I agree, by going to QC you would get more of a "French experience"...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,936 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canada Tour/Study

Hi Sarahmanning, welcome to the forum.

I'm going to redirect you to more appropriate forums. This Canada Forum doesn't have a lot of followers and you need more eyes on your questions.

What is your overall time/dates for your Canada holiday? Important to post that info.

I'd suggest you ask your BC questions on the BC Forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g154922-i80-Britis…

and your Central Canada questions on the Toronto Forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g155019-i55-Toront…

Once you collect replies, it may help you make a decision.

I also think it's important to read the Top Questions to the right side of each forum, BC has a Trip Report collection, as does the Canadian Rockies Forum, to read other questions being asked and answered on each forum, as well as the Québec forum. The forum for the province will provide you with the topics for all cities within it:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g155025-i50-Quebec…

Have a look at Moose Network for BC.

Use www.skyscanner.ca or Matrix to suss out your flight choices, but book directly with the airline.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,603 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canada Tour/Study

I think before you start asking the same question in various forums, you need to make your own decision about which of these two options is the one you really want to do ... which would mean the most to you and would be most beneficial. And that's a decision only you can make.

I'd venture to say that being based in the UK it would be relatively easy to learn more French in France, and likely more convenient and possibly more affordable.

I'd also agree that learning french in Quebec is better in Quebec City or a smaller city, rather than in Montreal, where English is spoken quite regularly and where people tend to immediately flip to English when they hear your accent. There are various immersion programs offered - you can either do a search on the Quebec forum for this topic, or a general google search.

Once you've made a decision, then come back to the individual forums for more assistance.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,068 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canada Tour/Study

All of the previous posts make some valid points.......I don't know how anyone could advise you though, as to what would be more important for you to do....see the Rockies, or study French.....only you know what's best for you.....I do think , as some others, that Quebec City would be better for your studies than Montreal, but you mention a 2 week course in Montreal...is it offered in QC?....is it just that you wanted to study in Canada as part of your vacation?

London, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Canada Tour/Study

Thanks for all your replies

I have already studied French in France and have always wanted to go to Canada so thought it would be good to go to Montreal and maybe do a short language course to brush up my french language skills.

Thanks for suggesting that Quebec would be better than Montreal.

I could also spend 1 week in Quebec and a week in Montreal instead of doing a course but i thought if i studied i'd meet more people and practice my french.

I will do some more research and post in the relevant specific forums

thanks

7. Re: Canada Tour/Study

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 05:17