We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Canada for a year what place should i go to?

Napier, New Zealand
3 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Canada for a year what place should i go to?

Hi Im a kiwi on a 12 month working visa and have no idea what part to move to. I will do some travelling around but like small country towns rather than the hustle and bustle of the big city lights. i prefer the lake than the sea and like hunting and outdoors etc. Going to the Calgary stampede but want to sort everything out before i get there. I also prefer the warmer option to although i know its all much of a muchness. Any suggestions??

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,645 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Canada for a year what place should i go to?

Have a read through the topics in the Top Questions to the right of the page. There is one especially called "Where should I go."

I'd also recommend you pick up a travel guide for Canada such as Frommers, Lonely Planet, Moon at your bookstore and find out some background. We have 6 time zones from east to west and a number of weather and climate zones to know about which change drastically over the seasons.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,777 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Canada for a year what place should i go to?

Hi Hollie;

Canada is a huge country. It is;

• approximately 9,984,670 sq. km / 3,855,103 sq mi.

• comprised of six time zones.

• over 8,000 km / 5,500 mi. wide, from Atlantic to Pacific coasts.

• close to 50 degrees latitude from North to South, about 25% of the distance from the North Pole to the South Pole.

• the second largest country in the world after Russia.

• only slightly smaller than all of Europe.

• almost 30% larger than Australia

• almost 37 times the size of New Zealand

I would suggest that you find a job FIRST and then look for accommodations.

FYI...you may find your post deleted, as TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation, as it is not considered to be travel-related.

tripadvisor.ca/help/what_are_the_guidelines_…

You might be interested in the website “British Expats” (not just for Brits) which is more geared to people who are emigrating / have immigrated to Canada.

www.britishexpats.com

Best Regards

Edited: 20 February 2014, 14:26
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,755 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Canada for a year what place should i go to?

Except the OP is not relocating - she is coming on a work/holiday visa ... and TA allows discussions on that.

Whitehorse
Level Contributor
793 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Canada for a year what place should i go to?

I would work in and visit the Yukon in the summer ;)

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,926 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Canada for a year what place should i go to?

OK let's talk geography.

Canada's most spectacular non-coastal natural areas are the mountains that dominate western Alberta and most of British Columbia (also the Yukon and western Northwest Territories, see below.) The most heavily urbanized region is in southern Ontario and Quebec along the lower Great Lakes and upper St. Lawrence River (the "Quebec City-Windsor Corridor"), but the northern/central parts of these provinces are part of the Canadian Shield, a rocky landscape of forest and countless lakes -- the best areas for canoeing and fishing. The southern Pacific coast (Vancouver area and southern Vancouver Island) has the mildest climate in the country; it's rainy, but you won't experience the full brunt of a Canadian winter if you spend it there (though there will be snowy mountains in close proximity if you want to fit some skiing in).

Canada's territories (Yukon, NWT, Nunavut), the sparsely populated areas north of the 60th parallel and west of Hudson Bay, offer sublime arctic and subarctic scenery and small, often remote settlements. But jobs might be scarce and travelling around up there is very expensive.

If you're interested in hunting while you're here, particularly big game hunting, research each province's regulations for non-resident hunters. Canada is very different from New Zealand, where all large animals are invasive and anyone is encouraged to hunt them. Big game tags in Canadian provinces are tightly controlled, and in most provinces non-residents can only hunt big game through the services of a guide or lodge, which can be quite expensive. I know Alberta has a program that allows non-residents to hunt as a non-paying guest of a local hunter, if you can befriend one; I'm not sure how many other provinces have something similar. Alberta is definitely worth considering for its abundance of jobs as well as wildlife. Note that hunting seasons vary by species and province/territory, but most of them fall between September and December or thereabouts (there are exceptions).

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,815 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Canada for a year what place should i go to?

Just to add that if you are contemplating the Province of Québec you must have some knowledge of French for almost any jobs. Not fully bilingual but at least enough to get around. There are still Montrealers that don't speak a word of French but if you have lived here most of your life or belong to a strong immigrant community you can do it but somebody just arriving from the antipodes will have a lot of problem.

Timaru, New Zealand
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Canada for a year what place should i go to?

Hi there

I am one month into my one year working visa and am currently in Victoria on Vancouver island. Have you considered coming to the island?

Calgary
Level Contributor
647 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Canada for a year what place should i go to?

There are lots of Anzacs working around Banff and the Banff Park ski areas. I would assume the same is true in major ski areas in BC.

9. Re: Moving to Canada for a year what place should i go to?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 04:18