We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about the Best Western Posada Real

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Question about the Best Western Posada Real

Are there tennis courts? Did you have to pay for court time?

Chitown
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about the Best Western Posada Real

Yo, what's up Mulwaukee...

I'm from Chicago and i envy you going to PE in a couple of months.. Lucky bastage!... I went to PE last Aug. with my wife.. I loved this place. Not sure what your interests are but we didn't notice any public tennis courts anywhere. I'd skip bringing the tennis rackets and rent the surf board instead. Surfs pretty awesome overthere.. But, since your from the Midwest, I'd bet your not much of a surfer either, unless we're talking about the WWW variety.. LOL... We stayed at Villas Carrizalillo.. And although, it a bit more expensive than some of the other joints in PE, I strongly recommend this place.. We rented the Villa with the patio.. Honestly, for the value, you can't beat this place. Its a bit secluded but that's exactly what my wifey and I wanted. However this place is well worth the extra $$$. I mean we may have paid like $75 a night, but the view was spectacular, and you basically have your own person beach right below the resort. Its a SWEET beach too.. You can rent boogie board and surf boards on the beach and even get a lesson from one of the surfers down there..

You can pretty much cab it anywhere in PE too for like $3-5 bucks. You can't beat that. There's a nice little strip mall walking distance from the resort too. With a bunch of little restaurants for lunch and dinner.. I'd recommend you go to the Laguna on a side trip at night to check out the fish that glow in the dark,, Its a pretty awesome experience. Also, you "have" to check out the Temazcalli.. Its an ancient Indian steam bath. its not far from Playa Zicatela... Its kinda like a ZEN spa but its another unique experience that I recommend to all my friends.

PE is not like your typical Mexico resort town. Its has a more European/Bohemian feel to itm, if you know what I mean... Really relaxed atmosphere.. I'd also recommend you go to the market and buy your own seafood and deli meats to save some $$$... Way cheaper than going out all the time. You can't beat the seafood prices either.. Freshest seafood I ever had in my life too.. Ironically, Beef and Chicken is more expensive that the seafood. At least that's what I noticed, compared to prices in the midwest. Either way, if you don't feel like spending the extra $$$ at Villa Carizalillo, you can't go wrong in PE. Anyway sorry I couldn't answer your questions about the Best western, I hope you have a great time in PE. enjoy..

Mentioned in this post
Playa Zicatela
Playa Zicatela
976 Reviews
Puerto Escondido, Mexico
Milwaukee
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about the Best Western Posada Real

35th,

Thank you for all the info. We are very excited to be escaping the midwest cold!

I did look at the Villas. It looks like an awesome place, but I think that we are going to "rough it" this year and stay somewhere a lot cheaper without air-con. We have stayed at really nice places in ACA and IXT and want to try something a little cheaper.

Thanks for the reccomendations on things to do. I do plan on going to the glowing fish show. :)

minneesota
Level Contributor
226 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about the Best Western Posada Real

Hey Milwaukee, St Paul here. We were in Puerto early January, like Chicago I didn't notice any tennis courts either, but I'm not a tennis player so I wasn't looking. There are plenty of really nice places in Puerto to stay I don't know about the Best Western, have you looked at www.tomzap? They have more info than any other place I found, Bohemian feel.......oh yeah, very laid back. There are lots of really great places to eat but make sure to have dinner at the Hotel Flora Maria, nice food and great desserts.

Kate

Chitown
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about the Best Western Posada Real

I understand what you mean by roughing it. Ironically, we didn't even use the AC at our room. We just turned the fans on. What we really liked at Villas was the view from the Terrace.. We stayed at the Terrazza villa.. The view was absolutely stunning. If you do not stay at this place, and you're really interested in roughting it, that's cool, there's actually a Hostel right down the dirt road from Villas Carrizalillo... I believe it called Hostel Shalom... I think it was like $20 or something... Really CHEAP! A nice couple from Montreal would come over to Villas in the evening to the small bar for drinks and enjoy the view. They said that the Hostel was not bad but that they just enjoyed going to Villas Carizalillo for drinks in the evening. Worst case scenario, you should atleast visit Carizalillo Beach. Its a small beach but its perfect for beginner surfers. It has some palapa style restaurants and bars too... You can get surfing lessons there much cheaper than if you try to book something at the hotels. Also, theres a small strip mall right by the beach, theres a nice Portugese restaurant there called, "Las Tortugas" and there's also a pretty good coffee shop and Internet cafe there.. I forget the name though.

If you are really trying to save some $$$, try to get a small room with a kitchenette, that way you can cook some of your own meals. that's goes a long way when you trying to save some money. When my wifey and i went, we only went out for dinner 3 times during the week and cooked our own meals the rest of the time. You can go the the open market for some really great seafood.. FRESH!!! And we bought deli meat and dinner rolls at the super market. You can get some quality coffee down ther really cheap too. We saved a bunch by doing this and I bought a case a beer to throw in the fridge to boot. LOL..We spent a lot of time at the Carizalillo beach just enjoying the weather, surfing and boogey boarding. Don't forget about the Temazcalli either.. If you're not really into steam rooms or saunas, thats fine, they also do some awesome massages.. But the Temazcal was the bomb though, especially if you coming from the Midwest in this Snow!.. FYI, if you go, use the cold water bucket to pour over your head. :) Enjoy, and let me know if you need any other advice.. I LOVED PE!

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
895 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about the Best Western Posada Real

Hi milw,

The Best Western is located off the beaten track by quite a bit. If you don't care that you are not within walking distance of the stores, markets, restaurants, other beaches etc. fine - but you will be a bit secluded.

From what I remember, it is $5 for a cabride from the Best Western to town, which doesn't sound like much, but bear in mind most everything within town is usually a $2 cab ride. That gives you an idea of distance.

If you are staying there for the "beach club" you should know that anyone can use the beach club for about $2 a day - so no matter where you stay you can use the beach club, which does have a great pool and a poolside grill. However the beach was pretty rough - at least it was too rough for swimming the day I was there.

I also thought the hotel had a very sterile atmosphere compared to others in the area. I don't think it's a bad place by any means, but there are probably other places that are better located, cost less, with more atmosphere.

I don't remember tennis courts but I wasn't looking for them either.

nyc
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about the Best Western Posada Real

Leave the tennis rackets home. PE is not that kind of place. Maybe you should go to Acapulco or the Bahamas.

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about the Best Western Posada Real

I just returned from 12 wonderful days in PE. We stayed at the Villa Sol just across the street from the Posada Real. We stayed at the Posada years back. The tennis courts at the Best Western (Posada Real) are free for guests. As of Mid Feb. of 07, a cab to town was only $2.00 USD, $1.50 if you bargained a little. Both of these hotels are only a 10 minute walk to Cafecito's on the Reconada strip.

Mentioned in this post
Posada Real Puerto Escondido
Posada Real Puerto...
257 Reviews
Puerto Escondido, Mexico
8. Re: Question about the Best Western Posada Real

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 16:18
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Escondido