We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Dec 23 - Jan 6, 2009 Part Two

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report - Dec 23 - Jan 6, 2009 Part Two

WEEK 2

We spent the rest of our days swimming, hanging out at the resort, eating out and having beers most days down at Danny’s Terrace at the Adonquin.

The first week we arrived there were only the 7 – 9 of us from Calgary/Edmonton as far as Canadians went at our resort. Mostly Mexican Nationals. For our second week 3 vans full of Torontonians arrived as well as a whole bus full of Alberta folks. We all hung out together at the lobby bar on a regular basis in the evenings.

On about our 11th night, we started to chat to another couple from Calgary at the lobby bar. Turns out they live down by us and know my dad and stepmom very well. Small world heh? Imagine sitting at our resort in Puerto Escondido to find people who know my family.

On day 12 we went back out with Armando on his boat. We were just going to have him tour us about on the ocean so that we could hopefully see the whales, however, he put in a couple of fishing lines while we were out there. We ended up catching a fair sized Mahi Mahi as well as about four Bonitas. We just caught and released the Bonitas and gave Armando the Mahi Mahi.

While out on the boat this time, we got to see a whale. (I have to figure out how to post the video I took on my camera). It was one of the most incredible events I have ever seen. I had goosebumps from head to toe. It made my holiday.

We also saw many, many more dolphins and sea turtles (including two sea turtles mating on the water’s surface – LOL) as well as a shark. It was the most incredible afternoon.

We made a point everyday to buy ham, hot dogs or take food from our hotel buffet to feed the street dogs. There are many of them. It breaks my heart. The dogs are all extremely friendly. We were also feeding stray cats throughout our stay in PE.

We found two more restaurants that we enjoyed.

Chila Bonita on the Rinconada was one of them. They had “American cut steaks”. We ate there on New Years Eve. We each had a couple of beer, a glass of wine, steaks with all the fixings for $500.00 pesos ($50.00 cdn). We were the only ones there. We then headed back to the lobby bar at the resort for some NYE cocktails. All the Canucks were hanging out together there. They were all trying to convince DH and II to head downtown to a nightclub for midnight. We said no repeatedly, however, the resort closed the bar at 11:00pm. Imagine closing the bar at that time on NYE with so many Canadians sitting there looking for drinks. LOL. We ended up ordering about four cabs and all piling into them. We tagged along to Playa Zicatela for the countdown. We ended up at a disco called “The Barfly”. It was an absolute zoo – we couldn’t even get in the door, never mind grab a drink so DH and I turned around and walked right back out. We started walking down the street trying to find a beach bar that had a seat so we could sit down. It was packed everywhere. At about 2 minutes to midnight, we finally found a place (don’t remember the name), sat down, ordered a beer and the countdown began. There were fireworks going off everywhere. The elderly lady that owned the bar ran over and hugged and kissed us and wished us a Nuevo Ano. It was pretty neat. We left after only a couple of beers and had to walk for miles and miles trying to find a cab. There were none to be found anywhere. After walking up the main highway in the center of town, a cabby pulled over to pick us up. He already had a fare, but felt sorry for us and let us hop in. We dropped the other fella off first and then we were dropped off at our resort. We arrived back at about 1:30. It was a good thing that we didn’t stay with the rest of the Canadian crew as they didn’t get home until 6:00am. Yikes. LOL

The day after New Years we ate at a restaurant called Pascals on Playa Principal right on the beach. It was the best restaurant in PE as far as we were concerned. We each had wine, drinks, appetizers, main course and dessert and the bill only came to $550.00 pesos. Incredible meal and so very inexpensive. It was so great there that we ended up going back here on our last night with the couple that knew my dad. It was another lovely evening and meal on that night as well. We ended up telling a bunch of the other Canadians about this restaurant after our first visit there and they actually came back and thanked us for telling them about it. They loved it as much as we did.

The Resort

The Best Western Posada Real is definitely a 3 star resort (as advertised). We knew what to expect, however, some folks from the Canadian contingent did not as they booked last minute and didn’t have much time to research their trip. They went there on their TA’s suggestion. The resort grounds are beautiful and the beach club area is great. The beaches here are incredible.

The food wasn’t very good. On a couple of occasions the mystery meat turned out to be beef tongue. I noticed the tastebuds on DH’s plate and pointed them out to him. Needless to say, he didn’t eat that. The food did improve a little by week two, however, it wasn’t the best menu we’ve experienced at a resort. I was starving by the time we got back home to Canada. LOL

The room we had was dated and tiny, but it was clean and did the trick for us. We did try to pay to upgrade to a suite the day after we got there, however, there are only six of them and they were all booked. Hey, we only use the room for sleeping and showering anyways. There are 100 rooms in total at the BW.

We tipped the maids $50.00 pesos per day, however, no towel art here. Sometimes she did forget to leave us enough towels or more toilet paper, but the room was always clean.

The staff here does their best to make everyone happy and comfortable, however, the service could sometimes be slow at the bar and restaurant. The bartender would disappear at times for up to a half hour. On a couple of occasions DH actually got up and went behind the bar and started pouring beer. LOL No one speaks much English at the resort (nor very many places is PE). It was fun trying to use our limited Spanish and we always had our translation book out. Most all of the canadians were regular travellers to Mexico and were quite surprised that no one at the front desk spoke English. We got pretty good at communicating what we wanted or needed. On one occasion I was trying to trade in our beach towels for new ones and the girl at the desk had no idea what I was asking. I was handing her the dirty towels saying “Dos Mas Por Favour. She still didn’t know what I was asking for so I just said “Gracias” anyways and walked away.

Puerto Escondido in General

Puerto Escondido is a very laid back and relaxing place. I would definitely return but next time I think we will rent a condo or villa so that we can cook some of our own meals.

It is definitely a perfect place to look at investing in real estate if one was looking to do so in Mexico. It is so very much less expensive than PV or Cancun areas. It will get more expensive in the future though. They are currently building a divided highway between Acapulco, Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca City and Huatulco. It will cut the travel times by a third once the road is complete.

They don’t offer any booze or sunset cruises here. I think they would do well if someone did start one up. There are many, many folks you can hire to take you out on the boats (from Playa Principal) as well as some tours to the turtle sanctuary or the "Bays of Huatulco".

The sunsets here are the most incredible I’ve ever seen in my life (Yes even better sunsets than in PVR).

The beaches are beautiful (these too are much, much better than PVR). The last couple of days the surf was really fierce so you couldn’t swim at our resort. The waves were huge but the rest of the holiday, the swimming was great.

Being able to speak some Spanish would be a definite plus coming here but if you have a handy translation book a person will make out just fine.

The weather was mid 30’s celcius everyday with full on sunshine. It was so hot and wonderful. What a let down to come back to all this snow. LOL

Well, that’s our summarized report. I’m sure I’m forgetting some things, but my mind almost blanked out once I was able to get up close and personal with the whales. LOL That was definitely the highlight.

Valfred Excursiones Turisticas
Cultural Tours, Eco Tours, Archaeology Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Manglar Birdwatch
Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Dec 23 - Jan 6, 2009 Part Two

Another good report, thanks. About feeding strays - I don't think it's a very good idea, and doing that creates a situation where the strays will pester other people. The culture in Mexico is very different than in Canada or the USA and domestic animals aren't held in as high esteem as some folks north of the border do. I personally follow local customs when traveling. Again, thanks.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Dec 23 - Jan 6, 2009 Part Two

As for feeding the strays, I understand what you are saying, however, we did notice that there were locals feeding the animals too.

Other people must feed the animals as we noticed that they weren't overly skinny compared to other destinations we've visited in Mexico.

Saint John, Canada
Destination Expert
for Puerto Escondido
Level Contributor
519 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Dec 23 - Jan 6, 2009 Part Two

The strays in PE are loved/hated. Local businesses will often have a few "regulars" and they call get fed. They business owners, to various degrees, put up with the animals to a point in order to keep away pests like mice and stuff. They get chased away if they bothered customers too much though. Be careful of strays under your seat if you lift it up to move.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
49 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Dec 23 - Jan 6, 2009 Part Two

Thanks for the great report. We head out next week for a month in PE. Our first time in PE, although we have been to Huatulco. It really sounds great.

canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Dec 23 - Jan 6, 2009 Part Two

HelenYYC you wrote a wonderful report..

Thanks

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
62 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Dec 23 - Jan 6, 2009 Part Two

Love that you and "DH" had a good time. With all the sealife that you saw, do you know anything about scuba there?

C.

Loved the "beef tongue" comment ewww. DH might have ended up in bed sick the whole time again!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Dec 23 - Jan 6, 2009 Part Two

Hi luvmypuppy,

It's so nice to see you here. It's been a long time. Hope all is well with you.

Doug never got sick once this time. Yayyyy!

Send me an email sometime girl. Would love to catch up. (helenf30 - at - hotmail.com)

Helen

8. Re: Trip Report - Dec 23 - Jan 6, 2009 Part Two

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 13:20
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Escondido
Recent Conversations