We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any thoughts/experiences on vivaaerobus?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
606 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Any thoughts/experiences on vivaaerobus?

I know it's budget - I'm just worried that there is a history of canceling flights and passengers being left out in the cold...similar to Volaris.

Anyone have comments of recent experiences?

I'm thinking of a flight from MEX to OAX in December.

Thanks in advance.

lwbc

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any thoughts/experiences on vivaaerobus?

As long as you don't mind your flight being delayed by a day or two (or being canceled completely a few hours beforehand) then they are fine. Personally I won't use them again after them canceling the entire service from my local airport and refusing me a refund. I was out over 1,000 USD in prepaid hotels and connecting flight losses.

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any thoughts/experiences on vivaaerobus?

Watch the luggage restrictions and extra fees respecting same, especially since you'll be in Oaxaca, where no doubt you'll want to take advantage of the ability to buy crafts and art at source. Your savings could be eaten up having to ship with a commercial shipper and / or paying for the overage .... if allowed. The SteveMex experience could be a result of initial growing pains of the airline, but the out-of-pocket issue is very troubling, and we need input from others in this regard in terms of how accommodating the airline has become regarding cancellations. It certainly makes me think twice.

On the other hand, if you can afford the six hour bus ride, I urge you to consider ADO Platino which I've used many times without incident:

suite101.com/content/ado-bus-service-mexico-…

The issue becomes discount airline with all that goes along with the concept, versus ultra luxury bus line.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Edited: 17 June 2011, 13:59
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any thoughts/experiences on vivaaerobus?

Here's a thread with a couple of stories from this year: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150768-i6-k421205…

I am sure 90% of the time they are fine but it's just too big a risk for me. This doesn't seem to happen with Interjet or even (that much) with Volaris.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
606 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any thoughts/experiences on vivaaerobus?

Thanks for the quick responses...that's kind of what I thought and we certainly don't want to take the chance of a delayed/canceled flight!!

I think we'll stick with Aeromexico...maybe ADO although it's nice to get to your destination fast!!

thanks again.

lwbc

5. Re: Any thoughts/experiences on vivaaerobus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2013, 13:34
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
606 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any thoughts/experiences on vivaaerobus?

ZN - what kind of business do you run??

Puerto Escondido...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any thoughts/experiences on vivaaerobus?

We had a friend book a flight with them online, the money was charged to her credit card, but they had no record of her purchasing the flight. She had to book new flights with another airline and spend a few hours on the phone to the credit card company trying to cancel the charge from Vivaaerobus.

England
Level Contributor
27 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any thoughts/experiences on vivaaerobus?

Flew to HUA 2 weeks back, on the way out had no problems whatsoever, I was really happy with them. On the way back however, they had changed the flight to the next day a few days previously, when we were away and unable to check emails. Beceause of this, my fiance missed a day of work and had a very annoying night trying to get another room at a decent hotel.

We just came back from Oaxaca with them and the only problem we had was that the flight was delayed 40 mins on the return flight, which isnt terrible.

9. Re: Any thoughts/experiences on vivaaerobus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2012, 10:29