We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heads up: ATM at the HSBC in Puerto Escondido

Airdrie, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Heads up: ATM at the HSBC in Puerto Escondido

Hi all, I wanted to share an experience that happened to us, and what steps we have taken to resolve.

One afternoon earlier this week, I went to withdraw funds from our Scotiabank Canada chequing account at the ATM located inside the HSBC on 1-A Norte S/N here in Puerto Escondido. We had had success on our previous visit there. I was able to withdraw funds on one card with no problems again the first time, and then I used a second card to attempt another withdrawal. This time, the machine FAILED TO DISPENSE the money, and issued me the withdrawal slip only (you have to confirm at this machine that you want a record of the transaction - which I was certainly glad that I had requested one). The slip showed as a successful transaction.

Uh-oh.

I waited by the three cubicles at the west side of the bank to speak to one of the employees there (as opposed to going through the regular line). She advised that there was a limit of $5000 MXN for non-HSBC clients and not to worry (her English was passable as my Spanish is rudimentary at best), that there would be no withdrawal. She told me to check my bank account when I got back to our apartment and if there was a problem to contact my bank.

I beetled straight home and brought up our account on the internet, and sure enought, the transaction had been posted - the money showed as withdrawn. Our helpful host returned to the bank with us, and confirmed what I had been advised: contact our bank and initiate the process from our end. Required info: branch #, address and the unique identifying number on the ATM.

I have sent an email to our home branch bank contact, and will update this thread accordingly once I have a tangible outcome to report.

We have also since run into four other parties that have had issues with the same branch location ATM's, and were advised that they were able to get the transaction reversed and funds restored, It took six weeks for one of the parties. No one that we spoke to has had any issues with any other banks or ATM's, although some reported that their cards did not work at some of the other banks; it appeared to depend on who their home bank was. We have had success at the Banamex here in Puerto Escondido.

If this happens to you, at least you can breathe a little easier knowing that there are precedents for getting your funds back.

Vancouver Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heads up: ATM at the HSBC in Puerto Escondido

Exact same thing happened to me and four other people last year at the same place. Contacted my bank via Skype and had the money back 9 weeks later...I use HSBC as a last resort now.

Airdrie, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heads up: ATM at the HSBC in Puerto Escondido

Update, Scotiabank requested a copy of the withdrawal slip, which we sent to them. They have begun the process and are advising up to 45 days

Airdrie, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heads up: ATM at the HSBC in Puerto Escondido

Update: It took longer than the 45 days, but we did end up getting our account reimbursed

YYC
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Heads up: ATM at the HSBC in Puerto Escondido

The exact same thing happened to us a few years ago at the Banamex just a little up the hill from the adoquin. Contacted RBC when we returned, gave them the slip showing money taken out of the account. Back then RBC immediately credited our account and went after Banamex. Since then, we have never been able to get cash from that Banamex atm machines, yet have had great success at the HSBC bank in PXM using our RBC card.

5. Re: Heads up: ATM at the HSBC in Puerto Escondido

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Escondido