We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing

northern illinois
12 posts
Save Topic
Fishing

Does anyone have experience charter fishing with a boat in the Vamanos fleet? We will be chartering the Orion and have been making arrangements through their website via a man named Jose. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing

Dilly,

The Vamanos guys are a top notch operation.

Here is the Fishing in ZIH link:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153445-c76914/Ixtapa…

Keith

los angeles
Level Contributor
821 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing

dilly 70,

Try Ed Kunze. His e-mail is edkunze@gmail.com. He's a guide/writer/fly fisherman. He will recommend a captain / boat, depending on the kind of fishing you want to do.

good luck!

Dallas, Tx
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing

Great captains as are many in the area.

Ixtapa
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing

Ed Kunze doesn`t even have a boat , why some says to book directly trough the caotain ? Can some one explain please

Ixtapa
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing

So, Does Ed Kunze is incharge of all reservation or are you his favorite friend becuase the prices you mention on your list are even higher than the booking agents offers, so tell me who is making the comision you or the booking agent?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing

Ixzi,

Ed Kunze originally opened his charter service with 3 boats, after a couple years he decided it was a disservice to local captains, sold two of them and mothballed the third and now only uses local captains as the only American fly guide in the area.

As a result of his writing fishing reports, feature articles in local and international publications featuring area captains many requested that he do their bookings for them, some felt their English was inadequate.

Additionally there is a new pricing structure working through the ZIH fleet, some sites do not show this. Do not confuse some booking agents desire for commissions with friendship and working relationships.

I continue to post Ed's fishing reports, and also reccomend Ed to people that are not comfortable doing thier own bookings, NOT as a service to Ed, but as a service to those travelers that are interested in fishing in the area.

Many, like myself, who use Ed as a booking agent the first couple of trips, go on to make thier own bookings, as do I now-a-days. Ed has NEVER asked me to book though him instead of directly with a local Captain. Ed has NEVER asked me to send him clients, or EVER attempted to offer me any "deals" to do so.

If you feel that living in the area that you could offer a better rate, know which Captains will offer the best experience to customers based on what they wish to fish for, and assure that your clients will get the Boat, the Captain, and the Crew that they wish too book, then I suggest you consider opening your own booking service.

Until then, I also suggest you keep the negitive comments to yourself, at least until you know what you are attempting to be negative about.

Regards

Keith A. Paul (aka Labrat)

los angeles
Level Contributor
821 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing

My wife and I met and spent time with Ed Kunze and Rebecca during our stay in Ixtapa-Zihua last Feb. 2010. Both of them surely are a class act.

I ask Ixzi to show his credentials, so that people can make an intelligent choice instead of making a pathetic rant.

Mar Buendia

Los Angeles, CA

oshkosh
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishing

That is correct. Last year we were on the Vamanos II and the captain's name was Cali. We coaght to e foot sail fish and a small dorado. I highly recommend them.

los angeles
Level Contributor
821 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fishing

Fished with Cali and Luis on Gaviota 2-12-10. My 1st time in ZIH. I couldn't ask for more. Great guys. And, oh ! Thanks to Ed Kunze for arranging the trip.

10. Re: Fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2010, 06:17