We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Nervous- is there still a bus from PV to Zihuatanejo

Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kawhia,New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Getting Nervous- is there still a bus from PV to Zihuatanejo

Planning to bus down from PV to Zihuatanejo in May - all night bus but as I have read so few reviews from people who have done it am now wondering if we should not fly instead?

Is it safe and are these 1st class buses ever held up by robbers etc? Does the 1 pm 13-14 bus still run?

flying is so expensive as it requires flying to Mexico City and out.

If we bused to Guadalajara and stay 1 night could we then bus onto Zihuatanejo next day- is there anywhere we can bus to, stay overnight and bus onto Zihuatanejo next day arriving late afternoon?

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,720 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting Nervous- is there still a bus from PV to Zihuatanejo

It's a long long ride...anywhere from 12 to 14 hours...are you sure you want to do that??

Kawhia,New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting Nervous- is there still a bus from PV to Zihuatanejo

No different to a 12-14 hour flight to get to Mexico in the first place from New Zealand and buses are way more comfortable than planes.

I want to know if the bus is still running?

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting Nervous- is there still a bus from PV to Zihuatanejo

It/'s a Great Trip. Do not let others discourage you. I have taken it several times. I normally bust up the trip . I have stopped in Meleque (a great little beach community) Barra de Navaidad (near meleque but not as nice of a beach) , Manzanillo (fabulous beaches, statistically the safest city in Mexico, highly recommend Las Posada a gem of a tiny hotel on the best beach) & also in Lazaro Cardenas strictly a industrial port with little interest for tourist. what I liked about it I was probably the only gringo in town but perfectly safe.

If you elect to ride straight through it is perfectly safe. No Bandits, robberies or any other misfortune in Many Many years. Yes it still runs!

I have rode in Mexico's buses for 25 years always having a positive experience, seeing wonderful sights & making numerous friends,

I will be busing through a good hunk of Mexico again this year starting in a couple of weeks.

Feel free to contact me for any other specific questions.

PS Best Bus line for this trip is Estrella Blanca (White Star). First class with restrooms & movies BUT dress warm as the A/C will be on!

Edited: 15 February 2010, 02:35
Kawhia,New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting Nervous- is there still a bus from PV to Zihuatanejo

I have read and printed out your busing down the coast review and everything else you have responded with on earlier posts-

we want to check out from our timeshare week at Sheraton Buganvilias (Puerto Vallarta) a night early -Friday 7th May and get to Zihuatanejo in time to Check in to Park Royal timeshare 4pm 8th of May.

Had considered staying in Zihuatanejo ( 3 am -onwards ) at either:

hotel El Tradiconal

Hotel JB

Sotavento Hotel brisas del Mar

Casa Adriana

or

Hotel Posada Vic-Mar

Just want something cheap and safe to rest up in after trip

before checking into timeshare week on Saturday 4pm.

Is there anywhere we could stop on the Friday night halfway and still catch a bus next morning to get to Zihuatanejo mid afternoon Saturday?

If not we will take all night bus and stay at 1 of these places- don't really want to book until we get at least to puerto Vallarta.

I see the Manzanillo bus is probably the same bus and still leaves only once late in the evening.

As,Peddler, you have done the trip many times maybe you can tell us of other buses leaving from Manzanillo earlier in the day if we stayed a night there?

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting Nervous- is there still a bus from PV to Zihuatanejo

Mostly the other buses are second class taking a much longer time. It's about 6 hours to Cardenas then about another to Zihua takes about 2 hours so not sure that is conceivable.

Unfortunately bus schedules especially second class ones change often, I have even seen them change over night.

Right now Lonely Planet (My travel Bible) shows 2 first class buses Manzanillo to Lazaro Cardenas one at 2:AM & one at 6:00 AM for the 6 hour trip. From There buses leave virtually ever hour Lazaro to Zihuatanejo.

I am retired never on a schedule & have a residence in Zihua so never or seldom in a hurry. Consequently I mostly play it by ear but I understand your tighter schedule.

PS My last trip PV to Zihua was January 2008

Edited: 15 February 2010, 03:42
Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting Nervous- is there still a bus from PV to Zihuatanejo

Trouble with late arrivals is if there are staff to let you in. The Vic-Mar family lives on site as does the wonderful family at Hotel Solimar Suites. The Solimar would be around $80 a night , The Vic-Mar far less.

Kawhia,New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting Nervous- is there still a bus from PV to Zihuatanejo

Hotel brisas del Mar

said we could check in at 3 am but I don't want to book until we have booked our bus tickets and by then they may be full,

also with taxes etc they would be more expensive but they said we could check out late at 2 pm which would be good,

That was last October and they could be full now so I'll take my printed out lists and decide once in Puerto Vallarata.

I haven't looked up Solimar Suites- a late one nighter could be a pain in the butt for them

Kawhia,New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting Nervous- is there still a bus from PV to Zihuatanejo

our business is listed in the lonely planet- you have to be careful with the Lonely Planet because by the time it is published prices and schedules are most often out of date be 2-3 years,

Not that reliable and to be used as aguide only- Not gospel-

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting Nervous- is there still a bus from PV to Zihuatanejo

Briasas del Mar is indeed a fine property. I spend a good deal of my life just below it at MJ & Richie's my favorite Mexican Café . While very popular hotel May is the slowest month other than September/October. So possibly they will have rooms but of course more money than any of the others discussed.

You are of course correct any travel book is but a guide but I find Lonely Planet the most reliable especially om bus info. But That's why I put the small warning about quick changes in scheduling.

Kawhia,New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting Nervous- is there still a bus from PV to Zihuatanejo

Thanks for all your help.

it has been most appreciated.