We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A "first-timers" perspective...and sorta trip-report

Monument, Colorado
Level Contributor
971 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A "first-timers" perspective...and sorta trip-report

After 15 vacations in Cozumel, we finally gave in to a friends request to try IXT/ZIH with them. They have always enjoyed Coz, but kept saying that they like the beaches and weather in IXT/ZIH better…especially in January. I was hesitant and felt I’d miss out on the things I love about Cozumel, but we booked the Dorado Pacifico and landed January 30th.

Even from the plane, my first impression was that the geography of Zihuatanejo and Ixtapa was beautiful. The hills, ridges and valleys covered in green, leading down to those great beaches and coves is hard to describe. The 20 minute bus ride to the hotel wound its way up and down a scenic highway, past coconut groves, the outer limits of Zih and finally descended down into the valley to “downtown” Ixtapa. The hotels in Ixtapa line a LONG stretch of picture-perfect, gently sloping, sandy beach. Each hotel has its own style of amenities for just about any traveler and all share their own stretch of that picturesque beach.

We stayed at Dorado Pacifico. The hotel was clean and all of the staff was friendly and helpful. Our stay included $15.00 a day for anything BUT breakfast. The $15 bucks a day went for drinks around the pool and under the beach palapas. We would casually sneak a few of our own drinks here and there between ordering them from the waiters, but a few dollars tip at the start and finish of our “lounging time” each day was enough to pacify the waiters and bartenders and nobody gave us grief about bringing our own drinks in. At the end of the week, our bar-tab was only $11.00 US. Overall, the prices for drinks were very reasonable when you figure the 15 a day ends up making them half-priced, all day. We never ate at the restaurant at DP so I can’t comment on that. Our breakfasts were all from places around Ixtapa. One place that we found (FONDA LA PALAPA) was very inexpensive and served good portions of tasty local food. I’m partial to Chorizo and eggs with a glass of fresh squeezed OJ and coffee. I could get it for about 55 pesos there. I can’t remember the names of all the places we ate in Ixtapa, but only one was a disappointment. The four of us thought the portions, taste and service was lacking….and are pretty sure there was some funky math on our bill. I thought tax was supposed to be included in the prices posted on the menu? We didn’t raise a stink….we just paid our bill, tipped accordingly and didn’t go back. Rueben’s hamburgers were a tasty one day when we felt we wanted something less “Mexican” towards the end of the week. Overall, we felt Ixtapa has plenty of fun places to eat or enjoy drinks. I found a “juice-joint” and had them make me about a quart of fresh OJ and ½ qt. Pineapple juice for 55 pesos. The juice went in the room fridge and made great drinks for my travel mug!

We explored Zihuatanejo 5 or six times, afternoon and evenings. The city was always exciting and obviously in a beautiful setting. We walked the shore from the marina to Playa La Ropa several times and stopped here and there for food and drinks. The “downtown area” was filled with great places to spend your day shopping, eating, drinking or just relaxing. We spent one afternoon exploring the hotels and condos in the vicinity of hotel Irma overlooking the bay. There are SO many quaint hotels on the hillside that I’d have a tough time finding one I wouldn’t stay at. The views overlooking Zih bay are fantastic. We ate several lunches and 4 or 5 dinners at various places in Zih. ALL were great, but again…I can’t remember the names. The “Blue place” with pastor tacos and baked potatoes was CHEAP and tasty! I know Acadia (on the beach) was one spot where we were very impressed with the cheese-stuffed-bacon-wrapped shrimp (120 pesos) and we had to go back TWICE to eat them again. It was also the place I tried a whole, deep-fried red-snapper smothered in garlic and butter. Oh MAN was that tasty! We found tacos al pastore everywhere in Zih as well as four or five places in Ixt, so I was happy to get my “fix” every day….even if it was just a couple “to go” on our way back to the DP before bed. We were never at a loss to find great food and drinks at reasonable prices anywhere we went in Zih or Ixt.

One of the things that really impressed me was the ease of transportation between Ixt and Zih. 8 peso bus rides and 55 peso cabs made it easy and convenient to go back and forth. Sometimes more than once a day. Cozumel’s “taxi cartel” could learn a LOT from the transportation model used in Zih/Ixt. We heeded the warnings and stayed off the buses after dark…just in case…..but really felt it would have probably been fine. There wasn’t a moment during the trip that we felt “unsafe”. The locals always returned our smile and “hola” and we struck up conversations with several who seemed genuinely happy that we were there enjoying ourselves…… and spending money.

So in the end…..I learned that Cozumel isn’t the only place I can enjoy myself immensely. The landscape and predictable, great weather of Ixtapa in January was a huge contributing variable as I continued making comparisons between destinations. Coz can be cool (Nortes) and sometimes rainy in January. Both places have great food, great people and lots to see and do. The beach in Ixtapa is superior to just about anything remaining on Cozumel, since hurricane Wilma. The lack of biting bugs in Ixtapa (unless maybe I just got lucky) was another bonus that Cozumel can NOT boast. I’ve concluded that Ixt/Zih is only missing TWO things that I LOVE about Cozumel. The friends that I’ve made there over the years who I like to visit……and that clear blue, turquoise, and various shades of blue/green water that Coz is famous for.

So…I’ll be back to Ixt/Zih. I’ll be back for sure… to explore what I missed in the short week that I was there and hopefully meet locals and “winter” people that I can put down as more reasons to return. Maybe I’ll stay somewhere in Zih next time? Some place up in the hills? Hmmm……decisions, decisions…

But first…..Cozumel in about 4 weeks. 

Retemrap

Dallas, Tx
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A "first-timers" perspective...and sorta trip-report

Great report and I'm glad you enjoyed the area. With all of the time you spent in Zihua, maybe your next stay will be along Playa la Ropa? There are so many choices and most have an excellent view of the bay.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
6,032 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A "first-timers" perspective...and sorta trip-report

Retemrap,

Glad that you had such a famous stay at my favorite place!!

Keith

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,497 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A "first-timers" perspective...and sorta trip-report

Great report and I am glad you discovered the charm and great attributes of Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo!

We also stayed at the Dorado Pacifico our first trip to the area and very much enjoyed it....subsequent trips we stayed there again as well as the Irma and Brisas del Mar and Casa Adriana on Playa la Madera in Zihua....it really is a magical place.

We have not been to Coz but have stayed in Playa del Carmen 4 times and I agree, that water is hard to beat- also the diving and snorkeling of course is best there. But of course Ixtapa/Zihua has the unbeatable weather and lovely mountains and sunsets....also hard to beat!

Edited: 17 February 2011, 16:53
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A "first-timers" perspective...and sorta trip-report

Great report! Have too agree about the taxis in Cozumel. We love both places! 1 week and counting, Irma here we come!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A "first-timers" perspective...and sorta trip-report

I've thought many times about Cozumel but we'll probably return to Ixtapa/Zihua instead. I've always wondered about the tens of thousands of cruise passengers that arrive there every day. . . they don't drive you crazy?

Monument, Colorado
Level Contributor
971 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: A "first-timers" perspective...and sorta trip-report

I would certainly entertain the idea of renting a house or condo with a spectacular view of Zih bay. That being said, I was very satisfied with Dorado Pacifico and would stay again for the price paid for the air/hotel package. One cost benefit of Cozumel is the flight options of landing in Cancun and take the ferry or land on the island.

Though......it isn't what it USED to be.

As far as cruisers on Cozumel bothering me, the answer is no. Cruisers come in all shapes, sizes and personalities....just like we land-based vacationers do. You have to sort through them. haha

A portion of Cozumel fans even say they "found Coz on a cruise" and now live or vacation there. I've enjoyed the company of plenty "here for the day" cruisers on the island and shared drinks and stories with them. The daily cruisers can be fun too. They are especially fun to watch checking what time it is every 15 minutes while enjoying the East side...because they "have to get back by *** so we dont miss the ship". Some can be fun to watch stumbling or running back to the ship, late. The "slow-walkers" are great for following down Melgar and using them as shields against timeshare guys and shop keepers, too.

The truth is....it does get busy downtown when the ships are in, but we learned long ago that going downtown is best in the evenings, once the ships have left around sunset. It quiets down a lot and then the locals and "land-lovers" have every bar and eatery all to ourselves!

Retemrap

7. Re: A "first-timers" perspective...and sorta trip-report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 07:18