We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baby Sea Turtles

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,813 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Baby Sea Turtles

It sounds as though there are sea turtles hatching this time of year, and visitors can help (or watch?) them into the sea. Does anyone know who to contact or where to go to see this?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,297 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baby Sea Turtles

We saw an enclosed area with nests by La Ropa, just before La Perla I think it was....no one about, though....so no idea when the hatches will be.

There was always a bunch of nests by the navy offices and pier too, although I did not check this trip- you could just stop by there once you get to Zihua, and ask someone.

We did a release at a hotel on Tenacatita Bay once and it was SO cool! That was in February, though. And my husband was staying an hour south of Zihua a couple years ago in early December and they were able to help with a release ....I think they happen all winter?

winneconne,wi
Level Contributor
294 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baby Sea Turtles

Check at the Catalina Beach Resort, They released about 2 dozen when we were there in October 2010 just before sunset. What a great memory.

winneconne,wi
Level Contributor
294 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baby Sea Turtles

And yes you can help.

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baby Sea Turtles

Also the Tides hotel has an area that they fence off for turtle eggs they have relocated to protect from predators and human beach traffic. Another suggestion would be to get hold of Avi at Barra de Potosi.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,639 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baby Sea Turtles

I have a photo somewhere of a turtle coming out of the water in the middle of the afternoon on La Ropa and digging her hole under the shade of a nice couples' umbrella while a hundred people watched .We have only been at Christmas or March , so it was one of those two months . We've seen turtles while snorkelling by the rocks below the Intra West, a few times . Cheers

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,985 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baby Sea Turtles

Just ask at your hotel.

Keith

7. Re: Baby Sea Turtles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2012, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa