We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bogus reviews?

Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chanhassen...
Level Contributor
88 posts
194 reviews
Save Topic
Bogus reviews?

Fell for my first bogus review on TA yesterday - or should qualify that it was a bunch of bogus reviews of the same place.

Not terrible, but not near the quality I expected based on reports. all in our party felt the same.

I don't have the access to investigate other ratings from the people who wrote the reviews (using TA app) - will have to wait for later.

But have others experienced this in the reviews of ixtapa?

I have mostly agreed with ones I visit frequently.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,761 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bogus reviews?

Restautant review?? One that offered you a discount for a quick review?? One that also offered you the computer??

Write the name of the place here...so that it will help to stop this practice...we know it is happening...

Blast them...only way this will ever stop...

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bogus reviews?

Headed for I/Z on 3/11 and would like to get the information about where this happened. There are just too many other wonderful places to enjoy.

Thanks!

Level Contributor
239 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bogus reviews?

What type of review was it?you need to let everyone know

Dallas, Tx
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bogus reviews?

It was more than likely a restaurant review and this type of thing has become totally out of control. There are too many restaurants that now offer you a discount, a free dessert or something to make a positive post here. They usually have a computer available in the restaurant for you to make an immediate post. It used to be a select few but now has spread to many others as they want "part of the action". Take a long look at how many of their restaurants reviews are brand new. If you have a fairly new listed restaurant and they have dozens of reviews all made in the last month or two, be leary. One for example just got listed in December and got 11 excellent rating in January and 17 so far this month. There aren't that many tourists in the the area to account for these numbers, especially for a new, previously unknown place.

I know of many places both in Zihua and Ixtapa that are involved in this and I reported all of this to TA over a month ago. It's up to our members to control all of this. The next time it happens to any of you, please report it to TA so that they can take some action.

Dallas, Tx
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bogus reviews?

I just wanted to add that when you look at a restaurant review, take a look at the number of previous reviews this person has posted on TA. Are they a long time visitor to the area and have they posted many reviews over a long period of time? You will see many of the reviews that are a first or second time post and then you will know that they probably received something in return as they were "encouraged" to make a post that they normally don't do.

Also take a look at the dates of the post as you will find that a party of 2-3-4 that ate together all made similiar posts for the restaurant on the same day. Another red flag.

This situation is not limited to solely restaurants as some of the hotels have joined in on this practice.

Edited: 29 February 2012, 23:52
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,761 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bogus reviews?

That is why the tried and true restaurants in the upper right hand column...eating for $10 or less is so important...we know them...we eat at them...and they survive because they are GOODDDDD.

As Gary said...look at the number of posts that a person has...that tells a lot about whether you can trust them or not. Hit on their name...takes you to their profile...and it shows their other posts...and destinations...sort of gives you a background on that person.

Edited: 01 March 2012, 01:02
Chanhassen...
Level Contributor
88 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bogus reviews?

Judy -

Not sure how you got all that from my post. Although this tiny keyboard keeps my posts short.

No One offered discounts to me for a review, or a computer.

????

I won't post name here, but will write review when back and can look at it more closely.

Just wondering how accurate people are finding these reviews in this particular forum.

Chanhassen...
Level Contributor
88 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bogus reviews?

All good advice!

I've looked again at reviews.

Most were praising breakfast - which may be true, we were there for dinner.

There were a few that highly praised dinner,which I can't see how that could be.

Food was just ok - all dishes bland though.

There were many in Spanish that I didn't translate - perhaps I should have.

Good advice to read the other reviews from those people - I did somewhat I thought, but maybe not well and now don't have good access to follow up.

Will sort it out when get back and can read on big screen.

There are many more good places to go and I won't worry about it too much.

Thanks for the info all,

Sorry if I reved everyone up unnecessarily.

9. Re: Bogus reviews?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 20:14
Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa